AGIAMONDO is the personnel service of the German Catholics for Development Cooperation. In the Civil Peace Service (CPS) we offer development workers a meaningful role working with local development agents. The CPS is a personnel programme for peace-building and the prevention of violence in crisis and conflict regions. It sets out to promote a world in which conflicts are settled without violence. Working with church-related and civil-social partner organisations in the Great Lakes region, AGIAMONDO aims to make a contribution towards civil conflict management and the sustainable and equitable development of the region through peace-building measures.
To support the Justice and Peace Commissions of the Dioceses of Cyangugu and Butare (CDJP - Commissions Diocésaines Justice et Paix), we are seeking a Social Scientist, Social Pedagogue, Psychologist for Church-Related Peace Work (m/f/d), Cyangugu, Rwanda
Your new role
For decades, everyday life in the African Great Lakes region has been marked by political instability, armed conflicts and resource conflicts. In this environment, the local catholic church is courageously committed to strengthening civil-society engagement and peacefully resolving conflicts. Its aim is to contribute to the promotion of justice, peace and reconciliation in accordance with Catholic social teaching and to the observance of human rights. Through their Justice and Peace Commissions, the dioceses of Cyangugu and Butare contribute to a peaceful coexistence of the various population groups. You will be directly integrated into the team of the Justice and Peace Commission of the diocese of Cyangugu, but will accompany both dioceses in their activities and peace work as required. The Justice and Peace Commissions run various programs in the fields of conflict prevention and non-violent conflict transformation, reconciliation and social cohesion. An important aspect involves work with the population at grassroots level and the reconciliation work between those affected by and those (accused of) having committed acts of violence. CDJP Cyangugu has seven and the CDJP Butare four full-time staff members and numerous volunteers at parish level. The projects and programs have a strong cross-border orientation; cooperation with the neighboring dioceses in Rwanda, Eastern Congo and Burundi is to be strengthened.
Specifically, you will carry out the following tasks:
· You will support both diocesan commissions in the further development and design of local and cross-border programs for reconciliation, coming to terms with the past and a peaceful coexistence.
· You will conduct training workshops for full-time and voluntary staff and community multipliers on topics such as dealing with the past, psychosocial support, restorative justice, accompanying and reconciling victims and perpetrators.
· You will accompany the staff of both commissions in the monitoring and evaluation of their work in the communities and strengthen their methodological competence.
· You will support CDJP Butare in setting up a conflict database for documenting conflicts and follow up activities for their resolution within the Diocese of Butare.
· You are responsible for the proper disbursement and administration of funds on site in accordance with the sponsor guidelines and AGIAMONDO specifications. You will work in close collaboration with the commissions.
· You have a university degree, e.g. in psychology, education, social work, educational science and have professional experience outside of Europe - preferably in Africa.
· You would like to pass on your theoretical and practical knowledge in the areas of conflict management, as well as peace and reconciliation work to a multidisciplinary team.
· You have experience developing new approaches to conflict resolution and peace work.
· You are familiar with the requirements of results-oriented project management and have sound knowledge of program management.
· You are fluent in French, verbally and in writing, and have a good command of English.
· As a member of a Catholic church, you identify with the goals and concerns of church development and peace work.
· You are an EU or Swiss citizen.
What AGIAMONDO offers
• Individual and thorough preparation
• A three-year contract, social security and remuneration in accordance with the German Development Aid Workers Act (Entwicklungshelfergesetz)
• Cultural, language or other professional training, as well as coaching and supervision, individual advice
We look forward to receiving your complete online application by no later than 29/09/2020.
Are you interested in becoming a Social Scientist in Rwanda? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.