Enabel is the Belgian development agency. Under the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, we carry out public service assignments in Belgium and abroad. In addition, Enabel enhances the impact of Belgium in international development by carrying out assignments for Belgian and international third-party donors.
Short Summary of the intervention
The new country programme for the Belgo-Rwandan cooperation 2019 – 2024 will intervene in the health sector, with the following general objective: “The delivery of sexual and reproductive health services including family planning services is increased as well as the access of households to heath care”.
Two complementary interventions are foreseen, each with its specific objective:
Specific objective 1: (Result-based Financing-RBF): To ensure that all women, new-born, children, adolescents and men have universal access to quality integrated RMNCAH (Reproductive, Maternal, New-born, Child and Adolescent Health) and/or FP/ASRH (Family Planning & Adolescent Sexual Reproductive Health) services.
Specific objective 2: To ensure accessible, evidence-based, improved and innovative health services (with a special attention to sexual and reproductive health services) with increased citizens’ participation and engagement in development.
The Social Scientist ensures accessible, evidence-based, improved and innovated sexual and reproductive health services for empowered citizens in 7 districts (SO2).
N+1: Intervention Manager
Direct hierarchical supervisor of:
o Number: 1 NTA Social Scientist
o Ministry of Health and Rwanda Biomedical Center through its Maternal, Child and Community Health Division (MCCH): The senior ITA Social Scientist will be anchored at the MCCH Division
o Districts: District authorities (Mayor and Vice Mayor of Social Affairs), the Health Management Team (DHMT) and the District Health Unit (DHU). The DHU Director will be the counterpart for the implementation and the management of the interventions at district level
o The ITA Social Scientist will directly accompany Gakenke, Rulindo, Nyarugenge districts with regard to social and behavioural change and self-reliance at the level of the community. In the 4 other districts the NTA Social Scientist will be the first supervisor and the ITA Social Scientist will be in support
The senior ITA Social Scientist will
o contribute to the implementation of the Health program by providing input for planning, execution, coordination, and monitoring and evaluation activities.
o support the MCCH Division and accompany the activities with regard to social and behavioural change, the reinforcement of a comprehensive life-cycle SRH model (including sexual and gender-based violence, teen-age pregnancies and drug & substance abuse) and self-reliance at the level of the community.
o assure evidence-based documentation of innovative experiences.
o organize the division of work with the National Social Scientist to assure that qualitative technical support is given to all 7 districts supported by the program with regard to social and behavioural change and self-reliance at the level of the community related to Sexual and Reproductive health;
o assure the follow-up of the call for proposals and grants to the Rwandan Civil Society Organisations jointly with the concerned districts and the Rwanda Biomedical Center.
• Master’s degree in social science or equivalent, Master’s degree in anthropology is an asset
• A specialisation in Public Health, Community Health or equivalent
• At least 4 years of experience and knowledge of health systems both at decentralised/operational and strategic level in a development setting
• At least 4 years of experience as a social scientist (or equivalent)
• Experience in community health, family planning, sexual & reproductive health and/or gender-based violence prevention preferably at decentralised level
• Experience in accompanying of change process and capacity building
• Experience in the design and follow-up of frameworks of downward accountability
• Experience in East Africa or Rwanda in particular is an asset
• Broad knowledge of sexual and reproductive health
• Clear and concise writing skills, good communication, presentation and facilitation skills
• Good capacity to conduct action research and surveys and good research paper writing skills
• Knowledge of tools adapted to manage complex interventions and strengthen health systems
• Demonstrated interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a multi-actor environment
• Ability to work under stressful conditions with no objection to working overtime and undertaking field missions
• Knowledge of the local context is considered an asset
• Fluent in English, good knowledge of French or Kinyarwanda
• Good knowledge of ICT (Word, Excel, Power Point and Database)
We offer you
You will work on a full-time basis.
Duty station: Kigali, with frequent travelling in 7 districts in Rwanda
Desired starting date : 1th of September 2019
Duration of the assignment: until 31st of August 2022 with possible extension based on Mid-term Review
Monthly salary package: (cat B417) between 5 247, 17 euro and 7 344,22 euro (this includes the gross monthly salary and the expat benefits: hardship allowance and expat allowance). The salary is calculated, depending on the composition of the family and the number of years of relevant experience.
A recruitment pool may be constituted following this recruitment procedure for similar functions in our intervention countries.
Are you interested in becoming a Social Scientist in Rwanda? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.