Terms of Reference:
Recruitment of a Project Manager to assist the Smart Africa Secretariat on the cooperation areas with the United Nations Foundation (UNF)
1. About Smart Africa
Smart Africa is a bold and innovative commitment from African Heads of State and Government to accelerate sustainable socio-economic development on the continent, ushering Africa into a knowledge economy through affordable access to Broadband and usage of Information and Communications Technologies.
The Transform Africa Summit held in Kigali, Rwanda on 28th-31st October 2013 culminated in the adoption of the Smart Africa Manifesto document by seven (7) African Heads of States (Rwanda, Kenya, Uganda, South Sudan, Mali, Gabon, Burkina Faso) in which they committed to provide leadership in accelerating socio-economic development through ICT’s.
On 30th-31st January 2014, The Smart Africa Manifesto was endorsed by all Heads of State and Government of the African Union at the 22nd Ordinary Session of the Assembly of the African Union in Addis Ababa. This development places the Manifesto at the heart of the ICT agenda in Africa beyond just the 7 original signatories at the Summit to all the African countries.
The Smart Africa Alliance has since grown to include 27 African countries that represent 600+ million people. The Smart Africa Manifesto aims to put ICT at the Center of National Socio-economic development agenda of member countries; improve access to ICT especially Broadband; to improve accountability, efficiency and openness through ICT promoting the introduction of advanced technologies in telecommunication; to put Private Sector first; and to leverage ICT to promote sustainable development.
2. Background of the cooperation between the Smart Africa Secretariat and the United Nations Foundation (UNF)
The SMART Africa Secretariat has partnered with the Digital Impact Alliance (DIAL) at the United Nations Foundation (UNF) to conduct a study which aims to better understand the challenges and barriers to implementing a whole-of-government approach (WGA) to digital transformation in achieving Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and other national digital strategy targets.
Smart Africa will work with DIAL to identify themes of interest, conduct desk research, and other Key Informant Interviews. This research exercise will help the digital ecosystem better understand digital transformation challenges and ways to address them.
The Smart Africa Secretariat would like to recruit a Project Manager (hereinafter referred to as the “PM”) to assist the Smart Africa Secretariat on the cooperation areas with UNF.
The PM will be responsible for undertaking initial desk research, identifying gaps in existing documentation, and conducting additional interviews with relevant government officials in targeted countries. The PM will also organize and coordinate related dissemination events and convenings, as well as training and overseeing research teams supporting this project and subsequent work.
The PM will support activities under this three-phased partnership between Smart Africa and DIAL/UNF with three main objectives:
• Establish a partnership between the two organizations amplifying a shared vision for supporting countries in Africa on their journey to digital transformation to achieve development outcomes, as well as creating opportunities for knowledge and information-sharing with a broader network of stakeholders.
• Research challenges and needs of governments in defining their digital transformation strategy and implementing cross-sectoral and whole-of-government digital initiatives.
• Host learning events to share best practices and insights from research.
The other general duties of the PM will include:
• Work with Smart Africa to develop research scope and country selection
• Research select countries’ digital transformation strategies and related challenges and identify data gaps to inform subsequent Key Informant Interviews (KII).
• Oversee hiring of research staff to conduct (in-person) interviews and data collection (as necessary)
• Develop and test Research Protocol for in-country/in-person interviews
• Conduct data analysis and write research report
• Organize and attend weekly follow up meetings with relevant staff at Smart Africa and DIAL/UNF
• Organize research dissemination and learning events, including planning for logistics, research presentation, and insights gathering
• Support development of subsequent work (Phase 2 &3) around country pilot and support
• Design and document our evolving strategy, including produce relevant slides, presentations, and key messaging;
• Review and prepare analysis and research on the sector, using regional and global resources including academia and industry;
• Help us bring new allies and strengthen the commitment of existing partners;
• Establish close collaboration and working arrangements with an interdisciplinary team composed of experts from Governments, Private sector, Non-Government organisations and other professional associations, to ensure good coordination, collaboration and timely conduct of Smart Africa activities;
• Provide periodical reports on the progress of project activities and issues arising;
• Participate in regional project meetings and workshops and other activities as required.
• Prepare the terms of reference and identify consultants/institutions to undertake assignments in accordance with the approved annual Work Plan;
• Monitor and supervise the work of consultants, institutions, government staff and other partners, facilitate meetings and, as far as possible, ensure the timely and responsive delivery of outputs and reports;
• Provide to institutions/consultants visiting or engaged in assignments, including preparing itineraries, appointments and assisting with travel and other logistical arrangements;
• Any other assignments which will be assigned from time to time by the leadership of Smart Africa.
4. Key qualifications
• A minimum of graduate qualifications (Masters degree) in a relevant discipline (e.g. Computer Science, Social Sciences, economics, or development studies)
• At least 5 years of relevant experience particularly working with country governments in developing ICT policy and/or implementing ICT strategies.
• Familiarity with different aspects of digital transformation, e-governance, and related literature
• Strong quantitative and qualitative research skills
• Excellent project management and team management skills
• Excellent inter-personnel skills and the ability to work effectively with all partners in order to act as an effective catalyst
• Ability to communicate knowledge effectively through various mediums including data visualization and reports, learning activities, and other methods
• Problem-solving skills, including ability to draw meaning and trends from data and recommend actions to address issues
• Strong technical skills in standard software programs (such as MS Office), web-based applications (such as Google suite and SharePoint)
• Highly organized; demonstrates grace under pressure; and delivers results in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to interact with people from diverse, multi-cultural backgrounds
• A willingness to travel, domestically and internationally
• Ability to work in Kigali, Rwanda
• Excellent Knowledge and Fluency in both French and English (reading and writing).
• The good working knowledge of another language such as Portuguese or Arabic will be an advantage.
5. Duration of the assignment
The duration of the contract is 1 year. The start date is February 3rd, 2020. The position is based in Kigali, Rwanda.
6. Reporting requirements
The PM will report directly to the Head of the Digital Transformation Division under the Director of Technology and Innovation.
7. Application Procedure
• A one-page cover letter with a motivation statement in relation to the ToR;
• A CV with 2 contact information of referees;
You will send your Curriculum Vitae, cover letter and essay in either French or English no later than January 24th 2020 to the following email address: to email@example.com and copy firstname.lastname@example.org
Are you interested in becoming a Project Manager in Rwanda? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.