Carnegie Mellon University is seeking a passionate, capable individual to serve as Program Manager for the Education Network initiative at its location in Rwanda, Carnegie Mellon University Africa (CMU-Africa). This position will work with the Director of Knowledge Creation and Education Network to oversee the fulfillment of larger Education Network Pillar goals. They will coordinate activities between multiple projects within the Pillar, giving detailed attention to program strategy, project delegation, and program implementation. This is a new and unique position that requires an individual with program management experience from higher education institutions, a team player with leadership qualities, excellent relationship building skills, a passion for education and innovation, and a desire to make a difference!
About the Education Network and CMU-Africa
Carnegie Mellon University Africa (CMU-Africa) is building a network alliance of engineering and technology education institutions across the African continent, which will create and enhance educational, knowledge creation, and industry-government connections to produce a workforce that drives inclusive digital transformation in Africa. They will work together to develop the capacity of network universities to deliver effective engineering and technology education, increase access through online certificate programs, and partner in creating practicum and internships to strengthen students’ employability skills.
Established out of a partnership between Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) and the Government of Rwanda, CMU-Africa is addressing the critical shortage of high-quality engineering talent required to accelerate the economic development and digital transformation of Africa—home to the fastest growing workforce in the world. CMU-Africa was established in 2011 and is the only U.S. research university offering its master’s degrees with full-time faculty, staff, and operations in Africa. CMU’s presence in Rwanda provides a platform to engage in Africa’s most significant opportunities and challenges across the continent through world-class education and contextually relevant research.
Our vision is to educate and empower the next generation of African leaders and innovators by delivering a world-class educational experience. CMU-Africa’s mission is to produce creative and technically strong engineers, who have been trained in the African context, and prepared to make transformative impact in their communities and the world.
We are a fast-growing campus with about 230 enrolled students, aiming to grow to 400 in the next couple of years. Our size and exponential growth create a sense of camaraderie and excitement, with strong community ties and a compound sense of accomplishment in our team members, contributing towards mutually beneficial relationships between staff and students technically strong engineers, who have been trained in the African context, and prepared to make transformative impact in their communities and the world.
As Education Network Program Manager, you will work closely with the Director of Knowledge Creation and Education Network to further develop the Education Network Pillar objectives and strategy and guide all the various projects and initiatives housed within the pillar. While specific responsibilities will vary, they will include, but will not be limited to, the following:
• Works with the Director of Knowledge Creation and Education Network to establish policies, procedures, and governance frameworks for the education network
• Partners with CMU main campus and education alliance stakeholders to ensure effective delivery of the Faculty Enhancement Program, Faculty Fellowship Program, Bridge Program, Online Certificate development, and any other initiatives under this pillar
• Works with the Associate Director of Impact to develop KPIs and build strategic progress reports for all initiatives in the Education Network Pillar
• Collaborates with CMU-Africa’s Finance Officer to manage budget burn rates, educate alliance network partners on financial accountability procedures, and ensure compliance
• Organizes various convenings and conferences for the network
• Builds and maintains relationships with education alliance partners, maintaining constant and consistent communication to ensure network activities are on track, and executed according to agreed timelines and budgets
• Works with external and internal Marketing teams to develop and implement marketing strategies for the various programs
• Coordinates all operational and administrative management requirements for the education network and works with other CMU-Africa departments to ensure objectives for the education network are achieved
• Performs related duties as assigned
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Project Management, Business Administration, Operations Management, or related field. Master’s degree a plus
• Project management professional affiliation
• 3-5 years of program or project management experience, managing delivery of educational initiatives, or network coordination. Experience at a higher education institution a plus
• Fluency in both spoken and written English and French a plus
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
• Highly developed critical thinking skills, with ability to solve complex problems in innovative ways
• Demonstrable ability to handle multiple concurrent projects in a deadline-driven environment; work under pressure and with frequent interruptions
• Superior computer and database management skills (including advanced knowledge of, and substantial experience with, email, word processing, spreadsheet, databases and presentation skills)
• Excellent analytical skills, with meticulous attention to detail; keep and maintain accurate and detailed reports and records
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with demonstrable ability to compose and appropriately format correspondence and reports
• Agile learner with the ability to adapt and thrive in an evolving, diverse environment
• Proven ability to exercise sound judgment, excellent discretion and maintain confidentiality
• Demonstrable ability to maintain composure when dealing with difficult situations and/or individuals
• Strong interpersonal skills, with ability to work with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds
• Demonstrable ability to work independently and take initiative
• Demonstrable ability to get things done and produce results quickly—whether the tasks are large or small
To Apply, Please follow the link below: