Position: Regional Grants Manager, Central Africa
Reports to: Regional Business Manager, Central Africa
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Country Program/Sector: WCS Central Africa Regional Program
Start date: 01 March 2020
Position Type: Full-time
Application deadline: accepting applications until position filled
Internal liaison: WCS Regional Director Central Africa; WCS Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) Country Program; WCS Republic of Congo (ROC) Country Program; WCS Gabon Country Program; WCS Equatorial Guinea Country Program; WCS Subaward Compliance Manager
Expected travel: Approximately 40%. As required within the region
The Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) is a US non-profit, tax-exempt, private organization established in 1895 that saves wildlife and wild places by understanding critical issues, crafting science-based solutions, and taking conservation actions that benefit nature and humanity. With more than a century of experience, long-term commitments in dozens of landscapes, presence in more than 60 nations, and experience helping to establish over 150 protected areas across the globe, WCS has amassed the biological knowledge, cultural understanding and partnerships to ensure that vibrant, wild places and wildlife thrive alongside local communities. Working with local communities and organizations, that knowledge is applied to address species, habitat and ecosystem management issues critical to improving the quality of life of poor rural people whose livelihoods depend on the direct utilization of natural resources.
This position will lead grant management and compliance in the Central Africa region. Candidates will need to clearly demonstrate they have the necessary experience and leadership to work in a dynamic, multi-cultural environment managing grant funding from governments, multilateral and bilateral agencies, foundations, and private organizations and individuals.
Regional Grant Management
• Ensure compliance with all organizational, country level and donor policies.
• Organize kick-off meetings for awards in the region with budgets of $1 million or more focusing key compliance requirements and award terms and conditions.
• Ensure regular, effective communication across the entire Central Africa Region to include follow up on grant management specifics identified in the kick-off meeting.
• Support Technical Leads and Chief of Parties with general grant administration tasks to include preparing donor approval requests for changes to budgets and workplans, waivers, disposition.
• Ensures grant information management and filing systems for regional grants are coordinated and respected such that all donor contractual documents, reports, and key correspondence are appropriately filed, accessible and up-to-date.
• Maintain Leahy Vetting approval database to support country program compliance with this USG requirement. Act as main point of contact for all questions about Leahy Vetting.
• Prepare all subaward agreements in the region, using the applicable template for the donor and/or OGC approved template in coordination with Country Programs.
• Collaborating with Global Subaward Compliance Manager, develop effective subaward management procedures, templates and tools.
• Coordinate subaward compliance in the region with the Country Technical lead and Finance team.
• Ensure efficient procurement processes in country programs in accordance with WCS Procurement Policy.
• Acts as the main point of contact for procurement related questions.
• Assist Country Programs as needed with the preparation of Requests for Proposals, qualified vendor lists and procurement supporting documentation.
• Reviews service agreements for country programs and drafts service agreements for Regional activities. In certain cases, this position will also be responsible for drafting country level service agreements.
• Support grant audits in coordination with NY Finance and the Regional Controller.
• Other responsibilities as assigned by the Regional Business Manager and/or Regional Director.
• Bachelor degree required
• Proven grant management experience in an international organization (3+ years) in a multi-funder and multi-currency environment required
• Experience in managing substantial (>USD 1million) USAID, EU and/or other bilateral/multilateral grants required
• Experience managing procurement and logistics processes
• Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse team. Must be solution-oriented and have strong problem solving and analytical skills.
• English fluency required; French language skills strongly preferred.
• Excellent computer and systems skills required with respect to MS Office applications (advanced skills in MS Excel required). Experience with a major financial accounting and reporting software (SAP or equivalent) strongly preferred.
• Ability to work and live in challenging environments
Interested candidates, who meet the above qualifications should apply by emailing an application letter and CV together with salary requirements and the names and contact information of three references to: AfricaApplications@wcs.org. Accepting applications until position is filled. Please include “Regional Grants Manager Central Africa” in the subject line of your email.
In addition, all candidates must apply on-line using the following link:
WCS is an equal opportunity employer and the organization complies with all employment and labor laws and regulations that prohibit discrimination in hiring and ensures that candidates from all backgrounds are fairly and consistently considered during the recruitment process. We are dedicated to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment and look for future team members who share that same value
The organization provides equal employment opportunities for all qualified candidates. The organization does not discriminate for employment based on age, color, disability, gender identify, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by laws and regulations
Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted for interview.
Are you interested in becoming a Regional Grants Manager in Rwanda? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.