Private Sector Development expert in support of small livestock value chain development (m/f) - Rwanda
Enabel is the Belgian development agency. Under the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, we carry out public service assignments in Belgium and abroad. In addition, Enabel enhances the impact of Belgium in international development by carrying out assignments for Belgian and international third-party donors.
Short Summary of the intervention
The new country programme for the Belgo-Rwandan cooperation 2019 – 2024 foresees to intervene in the agricultural sector with the following general objective “Increase revenues for farmers’ households and other private actors in the agricultural value chains in a sustainable manner”.
Three complementary interventions are foreseen, each with its specific objective:
1) Support through the Multi Donor Trust Fund (MDTF) to the implementation of PSTA4 to promote the commercialisation of agricultural value chains.
2) Develop inclusive and sustainable feed, pig & poultry value chains in which all actors run a profitable business.
3) Attract private investment to develop a modern industrialised value chain to produce high quality meat products and eggs to substitute imports as well as to export.
The first specific objective will be managed through a Grant with the World Bank.
The last two interventions are closely linked to each other and will be managed together by the intervention manager in livestock.
The expert promotes private investment and inclusive and sustainable value chain development in the pig and poultry sector. The expert also gives support to the Multi Donor Trust Fund (MDTF).
N+1: Resident Representative
Direct hierarchical supervisor of:
o 1 National expert
Partners: Ministry of Agriculture, Rwanda Agriculture Board (RAB), Districts, private sector federations, National Research and Development Agency (NIRDA).
o Contributes to the implementation of the interventions by supporting the Intervention Manager and the implementation partners in achieving the overall objectives of both livestock interventions;
o Functions as technical advisor to RAB & NIRDA with a focus on assuring the mobilisation of the private sector in the value chains:
Leads the feasibility studies for the value chains, identifying the potential for private sector actors in the value chains;
Assures support to RAB & NIRDA for the calls for proposals to attract private investors;
Assures support to developing and implementing access to finance policy and strategy, covering smallholder farmers and SMEs involved in the value chains;
Supports the development of Business development training sessions and support both to smallholder farmers and to SMEs involved in the value chains;
Supports in following up the broader PSTA4 transformation ambitions and particularly its ambition to promote agriculture value chains in Rwanda;
o Supports the Enabel representation in following up the implementation of the Multi Donor Trust Fund, in particular the policy dialogue related to evolving towards a private sector led agriculture policy;
o Supports, jointly with the Livestock specialist, the Belgian contribution to the sector dialogue in the agriculture sector;
o Supports, jointly with the PSD expert in the Urbanisation program, the Belgian contribution to the Private Sector Development sector in Rwanda.
Expected results of the function:
o Assures the strategic and operational piloting of the private sector support components in the Interventions.
• Master’s degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Economics, Finance or another relevant discipline
• At least five years of experience with business consulting, Private Sector Development or equivalent, preferably in the international development context
• Experience working on projects focused on improving trade and investment policy, regulatory and institutional environments
• Experience in East Africa or Rwanda in particular is considered an asset
• Knowledge of the regulatory framework related to small and medium enterprises, business finance, and a sound understanding of value chain structure and dynamics
• Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills and the ability to develop collaborative relationships, especially in a multi-component project with multiple implementation partners
• Ability to work under stressful conditions with no objection to working overtime and undertaking field missions
• Experience in the local context is considered an asset
• Fluent in English, basic knowledge of French, Dutch or Kinyarwanda will be considered an asset
• Good knowledge of ICT (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Database).
We offer you
You will work on a full-time basis.
Duty station: Kigali – Rwanda, with frequent travelling in Rwanda.
Desired starting date : 1st of July 2019
Duration of the assignment: until the 30th of June 2022 (with possible extension for 24 months)
Monthly salary package: (cat.2 – B417) between 5.247,17 euro and 7.344,22 euro (this includes the gross monthly salary and the expat benefits: hardship allowance and expat allowance). The salary is calculated, depending on the composition of the family and the number of years of relevant experience.
A recruitment pool may be constituted following this recruitment procedure for similar functions in our intervention countries.
Are you interested in becoming a Private Sector Development expert in Rwanda? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the “Milani Ltd. is pineapple producing and exporting company in Ghana.