Position: Program Manager
Reports to: Country Director
Location: Brazzaville, Republic of Congo (ROC)
Country Program/Sector: WCS Congo Program
Start date: 01 May 2020
Position Type: Full-time
Application deadline: 15 March 2020
Expected travel: Local travel to field sites and sub-offices
The Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) is a US non-profit, tax-exempt, private organization established in 1895 that saves wildlife and wild places by understanding critical issues, crafting science-based solutions, and taking conservation actions that benefit nature and humanity. With more than a century of experience, long-term commitments in dozens of landscapes, presence in more than 60 nations, and experience helping to establish over 150 protected areas across the globe, WCS has amassed the biological knowledge, cultural understanding and partnerships to ensure that vibrant, wild places and wildlife thrive alongside local communities. Working with local communities and organizations, that knowledge is applied to address species, habitat and ecosystem management issues critical to improving the quality of life of poor rural people whose livelihoods depend on the direct utilization of natural resources.
Congo Program Overview:
WCS is the largest international conservation NGO in the Republic of Congo and has been working with government, community and private sector partners to achieve conservation in multiple landscapes across the country for nearly 3 decades. In 1991, WCS signed an agreement with the Congolese Government to provide technical advice on the creation and management of the Nouabalé-Ndoki National Park (NNNP) through the Nouabalé-Ndoki Project, which has now developed into a public-private-partnership. WCS Congo has also been internationally recognized for its innovative work in collaboration with the forestry companies working in the peripheral zone of the NNNP (through PROGEPP – Projet de Gestion des Ecosystèmes de la Périphérique au Parc National de Nouabalé-Ndoki) in order to promote the conservation and sustainable management of natural resources outside of protected areas. WCS has been working with the Lac Télé Community Reserve since 2003 and coordinate the implementation of bush meat consumption and trafficking reduction orientated projects.
The responsibility of the Program Manager will be overseeing the day-to-day management of the project portfolio of the WCS Congo program, providing direct support to the Country Director in Brazzaville and the Project Directors in the field.
• Oversee management of projects and grants including assistance with development of strategies, preparation of proposals, coordination of timely reporting, and compliance with donor regulations including the Sustainable Wildlife management project.
• Participate in strategic planning for the WCS-Congo Program
• Provide technical support to field Project Directors in the implementation of existing work plans
• Work with the Congo Chief Financial Officer to monitor donor budgets
• Provide technical assistance and oversight to ensure that Project Directors adhere to WCS-NY, WCS- Congo, and Congo government rules and regulations in project administration
• As requested by the WCS-Congo Country Director, represent WCS at meetings on a national and international level
• Maintain good relationships with existing national and international NGOs and technical partners in-country, national delegation offices of bilateral and multi-lateral donors, and foster, where possible, the participation of existing and new partners in relevant aspects of program implementation and strategy development
• An advanced degree in wildlife biology, anthropology, conservation, or another field relevant to the position's responsibilities
• At least five years experience working in a conservation management or policy position, with experience in Congo or Central Africa a distinct advantage
• Experience in large project or program management, personnel management, administration, and fundraising
• Knowledge of conservation biology, practical conservation, and African conservation issues
• Passionate commitment to African conservation and enthusiasm about a career in conservation management
• Excellent communication and organizational skills
• Excellent, fluent spoken and written English and French
Interested candidates, who meet the above qualifications should apply by emailing an application letter and CV together with salary requirements and the names and contact information of three references to: email@example.com by 15 March 2020 deadline. Please include “Program manager” in the subject line of your email.
WCS is an equal opportunity employer and the organization complies with all employment and labor laws and regulations that prohibit discrimination in hiring and ensures that candidates from all backgrounds are fairly and consistently considered during the recruitment process. We are dedicated to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment and look for future team members who share that same value
The organization provides equal employment opportunities for all qualified candidates. The organization does not discriminate for employment based on age, color, disability, gender identify, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by laws and regulations
Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted for interview.
Are you interested in becoming a Program Manager in Republic of the Congo? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.