Enabel is the Belgian development agency. We implement Belgium’s international development policy.
With 14 country offices across the world, 1500 employees and an annual portfolio of approximately 220 million euros, we build a sustainable world where women and men live under the rule of law and are free to pursue their aspirations.
Under the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, we carry out public service assignments in Belgium and abroad. In addition, Enabel enhances the impact of Belgium in international development by carrying out assignments for Belgian and international third-party donors.
To further develop its activities, Enabel is looking for 1 (m/f): Intervention Manager rural development and private sector – MOZAMBIQUE
Contract duration: 60 months
Probable starting date: 1st of July 2018
Monthly salary package: Level 1 – B476 Intervention Manager: between 5.854,79 euros and 8.289,03 euros (inclusive gross monthly salary and expat benefits: expat and hardship allowances). The salary depends on relevant experience.
Furthermore, our expatriate staff members are also offered customary expatriate benefits such as a (capped) housing allowance, a moving allowance, an installation allowance, a (capped) school allowance for children accompanying, an insurance package for the whole family, including repatriation insurance, and an annual round-trip flight ticket for each family member.
The amounts disbursed will vary in function of relevant recognised experience for the function, the household’s composition and the fiscal situation.
The Indicative Cooperation Program (ICP 2013-2017) between Belgium and Mozambique allocates a total grant envelope of 16 million € to the energy sector in Mozambique, split over two interventions:
· Institutional and organizational strengthening and capacity development at the Ministry of Energy (CBMIREME)
· Renewable Energy for Rural Development phase 2 (RERD2)
Both interventions will contribute to the economic productivity and social service delivery in rural Mozambique through the provision of sustainable, affordable and environment-friendly energy (general objective).
RERD II, whose budget amounts to 12M€, builds on the results of the first phase of the intervention and will contribute to increase access to energy in rural areas by investments in renewable energy systems and support mechanisms ensuring sustainability.
The partner organisation is FUNAE (Fundo de Energia). The institution is in charge of developing the use of renewable energy in rural areas.
To achieve this specific objective, RERD II will invest in three strategic axes:
1. Financing the construction of off-grid systems and demonstrate the most suitable management mode for those mini-grids. The intervention will focus on large mini-grids allowing for the productive use of energy.
2. Improving the technical and financial sustainability of the current systems in Mozambique
3. Improving FUNAE capacities, especially related to project management at central level and to planning and coordination at the level of the Delegation in the Provinces.
The geographic focus will be the province of Zambezia, with possible extension to Niassa and Manica depending on the security situation
Coordinate, under the authority of the Resident Representative of Enabel, the intervention in order to ensure optimal execution within the set programme framework.
Therefore, (s)he will primarily:
1. As Intervention manager manage the operational and financial planning in order to ensure a smooth start-up, progress and the results of the intervention.
2. As Intervention coordinator coordinate the activities and ensure their execution, in compliance with set arrangements and procedures in order to achieve the intervention objectives.
3. As Knowledge manager coordinate the knowledge building process and ensure that the results thereof are disseminated in order to ensure a knowledge-based programme approach.
4. As People manager lead the team of which one is the hierarchical supervisor in order to have qualified and motivated staff.
5. As Facilitator develop capacity of partner entities in order to contribute to the improvement of their organisation, processes and systems and of their staff’s competencies.
6. As member of the formulation team provide the necessary inputs in his/her area of expertise in order to contribute to the production of the Technical and Financial File.
Required level of education
• Hold a Master in management, economy, rural development or equivalent.
Required and/or desired experience
• At least 5 years of relevant experience in steering interventions/projects and international cooperation; experience with more than one intervention/project is an advantage;
• Preferably experience in private sector issues and of the interfaces between private and public sector such as public-private partnerships.
• A thorough experience in development contexts.
• At least 5 years of overseas experience, of which part in sub-Sahara Africa. Knowledge of the country and/or experience working in Mozambique is an advantage.
• Broad and in-depth insight in all aspects of development cooperation
• Thorough knowledge of project management methodologies
• Preferably experience in the energy sector.
• Skills and experience in capacity building activities and change processes.
• Adherence to Enabel’s values: commitment, respect, responsibility and integrity;
• Very good negotiation skills, stakeholder consensus-building ability;
• Excellent time and team manager with a participatory approach;
• Computer literacy (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, databases);
• Reasonable level of Portuguese and willing to learn
• Very Good level of English
Are you interested in becoming an Intervention Manager in Mozambique? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.