Job Title: Head of Office
Reports To: Country Representative for Lesotho & Mozambique
You will manage and represent Catholic Relief Services' (CRS) activities operating through the Mozambique office, to ensure implementation of high-quality programs serving the poor and vulnerable including those affected by Cyclone Idai. You will ensure the development and effective management of operational systems and resources and the delivery of high-quality programming in coordination with the CRS main office in Lesotho. You will also ensure timely and quality programming and financial reporting internally and to the donors.
- Manage planning and implementation of all key activities at the sub-office level ensuring alignment with Country Program (CP) and agency strategic programming and operations excellence priorities and standards. Approve expenses, monitor spending, and make budget adjustments in line with operational and programmatic needs and donor requirements.
- Closely monitor events in Mozambique (humanitarian situation, politics, security, etc.), in order to identify other potential programming areas and new (strategic) partners for CRS.
- Serve as the security focal point. Proactively manage security and mitigate security risks. Ensure a safe work and living environment through leading implementation of safety and security protocols and staff care and well-being best practices.
- Effectively manage talent and supervise. Manage team dynamics and staff well-being. Provide coaching, strategically tailor individual development plans, and complete performance management for direct reports. Monitor and assess performance to ensure adequate capacity. Contribute to staffing plans and recruitment process of senior staff.
- As the primary representative of CRS in Mozambique, strengthen existing and develop new relationships with Caritas Mozambique, Diocesan Caritas as well other local partners, government and community organizations.
- Proactively and effectively manage resources and promote stewardship, ensuring program and operations teams and partner staff have and optimize the appropriate human, financial, and material resources and tools.
- Ensure high-quality project implementation, management, and compliance with programmatic standards, policies and procedures through project review systems and quality control (comprehensive M&E systems, budget review and analysis). Promote documentation of program reviews, success stories, and lessons learned
- Monitor day-to-day operations to ensure all operational services (HR, Finance, Supply Chain, Admin, ICT) are delivered with high quality in an efficient manner and adhere to policies. Manage risk and address challenges that affect the proper stewardship, optimal utilization and maintenance of program assets and resources (financial, human, and material).
- Create and maintain the proper conditions for learning. Establish a safe environment for the sharing of ideas, solutions, and difficulties and the capacity to detect, analyze and respond quickly to small deficiencies. Identify capacity strengthening needs for staff and partners and coordinate with CRS Lesotho and SARO to address capacity strengthening.
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience
- Master's Degree in international development, health, agricultural livelihood; significant work experience in a directly related field will be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Minimum of 5 years work experience in a non-profit, development, and/or humanitarian organization with progressive responsibilities and some project management experience. Strong operations (HR, procurement, finance, etc.) background will be a plus.
- Excellent writing and communication skills in both English and Portuguese languages
- Demonstrated experience in community mobilization, organization and mediation among local actors
- Experience working with projects funded by multiple public donors, including USAID.
- Experience in stakeholder management and establishing and strengthening community partnerships.
- Staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment.
- Knowledge of procurement and general office administrative/management issues
- Proficient in MS Office package (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio), Web Conferencing Applications, and information management systems.
- Excellent strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment and decisions.
- Strong relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
- Team leadership abilities
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented
- Able to live in an environment where everyday comforts may not be readily available.
Required/Desired Foreign Language: Fluency in English and Portuguese required
Travel Required: up to 40%
Key Working Relationships:
- Supervisory: Emergency Coordinator, Business Development Specialist, HR & Administration Officer, Finance & Grants Officer
- Internal: Country Representative, Deputy Regional Director for MQ, Deputy Regional Director for Programs, HRD staff
- External: NationalCaritas Mozambique, Diocesan Caritas in Mozambique, Caritas International Member Organizations Representatives in Mozambique, United Nations Agencies, USAID, Government of Mozambique officials
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
Accountability and Stewardship
Continuous Improvement and Innovation
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS' talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Are you interested in becoming a Head of Office in Mozambique Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.