Enabel is the Belgian development agency. It implements and coordinates Belgium’s international development policy and primarily works for the Belgian State. The agency also implements actions for other national and international donors. With its partners in Belgium and abroad Enabel offers solutions addressing pressing global challenges: Climate Change, Urbanisation, Human Mobility, Peace and Security, Economic and Social Inequality, and Global Citizenship. With 1,500 staff, Enabel manages about 150 projects in twenty countries, in Belgium, Africa and the Middle East.
Over the past decade, Enabel has implemented development programmes in Mozambique, particularly - but not only - in the energy and water sectors. In recent years Enabel's expertise has increasingly focused on the links between the energy, water and food security sector (agriculture). The partnership with the Mozambican institutions is, among others, characterized by Enabel’s flexibility and ability to respond to the country’s major challenges with innovative solutions (including digitization).
Mozambique has taken significant steps towards the implementation of the Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) in fulfillment of the Paris climate agreement. The Mozambique’s NDC prioritizes adaptation to Climate Change and highlights an ambitious mitigation commitment plan to massively reduce CO2 emission from 2020 to 2030, depending upon the support of the development partners in providing the financial, technological, and capacity building to the Government and Civil Society institutions.
To advance its efforts, in April 2017, Mozambique joined the NDC Partnership to mobilize and access additional resources to implement its climate change goals. The NDC Partnership is a global coalition of countries and institutions working to mobilize support and achieve ambitious climate goals while enhancing sustainable development. Members leverage their resources and expertise to provide countries with the tools they need to implement their NDCs and combat climate change to build a better future. Belgium is a member of the NDC Partnership and aims at channeling a part of its support towards NDC implementation through the NDC partnership.
To fully achieve its NDCs and increase its ambition over time, Mozambique will require additional financial and technical support from national and international institutions, from both the private and public sectors.
Joining Enabel as a Climate Finance Expert, you will be embedded in the National Directorate of the Planning and Budgeting in the Ministry of Economy and Finance and will work closely with the other focal points in the Ministry of Land and Environment, together with the NDC Partnership Plan In-Country Coordinator, the NDC Partnership Support Unit and the representation of Enabel.
- You identify climate financing initiatives and opportunities (such as the GCF, GEF, Adaptation Fund, etc.) and support the mobilization of climate finance for climate action and NDC implementation, from national to international sources, and from public to private sources;
- You support building national capacities to identify, assess, and prioritize climate change projects and direct them to the appropriate financing sources;
- You organise knowledge management and training sessions to build capacities of national stakeholders to design climate change projects and to access the different existing sources of climate finance;
- You work across line ministries and mobilize Development Partners for the identification, development, implementation and monitoring of climate mitigation and adaptation projects for NDC implementation;
- You organise knowledge management and training sessions to build capacities of national stakeholders in the field of climate finance (mobilization, monitoring, tracking, reporting, etc.)
- You contribute to capacity development in both the Ministry for Economy and Finance and the Ministry of Land and Environment for climate adaptation and mitigation projects development and for mobilizing finance and resources for their implementation.
· Master’s degree in climate and environmental sciences, natural resources management, sustainable development, economic sciences, political sciences or equivalent.
• For this specific role, at least 5 years of relevant international experience in developing environment, climate, and sustainable development projects from which 2 years in developing countries;
• A minimum of 2 years substantial experience on project or program design;
• Minimum 3 years of substantial experience in business development, finance mobilization, capital raising, and/or developing public-private partnerships with a successful track record in climate finance related activities across multiple contexts in a multi-cultural environment;
• Demonstrated successful experience in mobilizing public climate finance (GCF, GEF, Adaptation Fund, etc.) for climate mitigation and adaptation projects implementation;
• Experience in working with multiple stakeholders (government partners, donors and development partners, civil society organizations, NGOs, local communities, etc.) in developing countries;
• Experience in building the capacities of various stakeholders (government partners, donors and development partners, civil society organizations, NGOs, local communities, etc.) in the field of climate finance, climate change adaptation and mitigation, NDC development and implementation, etc.);
• Experience in preparation, coordination, and conduct of field missions in developing countries for engaging with stakeholders and for data collection;
Required skills and knowledge
• Strong understanding of global environment and development issues that influence resource allocation by government and development organizations;
• Proven ability to network and develop partnerships across a range of stakeholders and manage complex multi-stakeholder strategies and plans;
• Good understanding of international policy debates and challenges in climate finance, climate adaptation and mitigation;
• Expertise in at least one of following fields: energy access and power generation; low-emissions transport; buildings, cities, industries and appliances; forestry and land use; most vulnerable people, communities and regions; health and well-being, food and water security; infrastructure and built environment; ecosystems and ecosystem services;
• Good knowledge of aspects of international development (context, challenges, application, partners, functioning, etc.);
• Excellent written skills;
• Knowledge management and knowledge building;
• Results-based management;
• Ability to use new technologies used in the area of expertise;
• Fluent in spoken and written English. Considering the working language of Mozambique, a good knowledge of Portuguese is required. Knowledge of French and Dutch is an asset.
Applicants are also required to commit to the vision, mission and values of Enabel (https://www.enabel.be/content/enabel-vision-mission-values).
We offer you
• An interesting job in an international environment.
• A contract of 12 months (renewable). You are based in Maputo.
• A salary package that comprises the monthly gross salary, in accordance with our salary scales (Class 6), and Enabel expat benefits such as a remoteness, assignment and hardship allowance, (capped) coverage of housing expenses, a moving compensation, an installation compensation, (capped) coverage of school expenses for children accompanying, an insurance package for the whole family, including repatriation insurance, and an annual round-trip flight ticket for each family member.
• In case of expatriation without the (dependent) members of the family, up to six additional round-trip flight tickets to the country of origin or another destination (capped in accordance with Enabel rules).
The various amounts vary in function of relevant recognised experience for the function, family composition and the fiscal situation.
Following this recruitment procedure a shortlist of successful applicants may be constituted which may be sourced in the next three years for similar job openings.
Enabel is committed to equal opportunities and diversity in its workforce. Recruitment is solely on the basis of capacity.
Are you interested?
Apply here at the latest by 27 January 2021 and include your application letter and updated CV.
Are you interested in becoming a Climate Finance Expert in Mozambique? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.