Regional Manager - East and Southern Africa (Consultant)
Our client is an NGO working with small holder models for cash crops around Africa.
The consultant (long term 3-5 yrs) will be responsible for overseeing, developing and representing the company in Southern and East Africa. He will contribute to a powerful recognition of the company amongst national and regional stakeholders and in the end a proper scale-up in the number of strategic partnerships, participating farmers and the volumes pulled through the supply chain.
This involves developing, implementing, improving and evaluating existing and new partnerships, creating a strategy for the companies presence in the region, resetting programme objectives with implementers, governments, funders, etc. who are of strategic relevance, and strengthen the companies presence within the region. The consultant will work closely with the Supply Team at head office to create a strategy for the coming years.
1. Lead on the implementation and development of the plans for each country in the region (South Africa, Mozambique, Madagascar, and also new countries) in collaboration with other departments of the company to enable delivery of global strategy and goals.
2. Further develop and strengthen the network of partners in the region and ensure representation of the company in appropriate forums.
3. Develop a regional strategic plan to support The companies global priorities. Strategy will cover demand and fundraising and national embedding.
4. Manage and oversee capacity building of partners, to make sure all parties have the capabilities and capacity to deliver on objectives for the programme.
5. Collaborate and support with the assurance team for the execution of the assurance program.
6. Making sure appropriate escalation of important risks to credibility of the operations in the different countries.
7. Working together with the fundraising team to create marketing and funding opportunities for the company. Support fundraising activities in the regions.
8. Contribute to developing of the global programme team by sharing knowledge and building the reputation of the company as a leading organisation in both the sustainable agriculture and textile sectors and creating ideas to improve ways of working.
9. Ensure the integrity of the company in the region through quality recruitment, management, induction, and coaching of regional partners, incl. overseeing farm monitoring and supporting licensing processes, communicating texts of best practice, collecting impact data and results, and providing training and referrals.
10. Closely work with the Regional Manager of West Africa and line manage the staff in the country.
11. Monitor the selection and training of participating gins and other manufactorers and suppliers on the use of the companies traceability systems.
12. Sharing knowledge and stories from the country programs to transfer skills to other African country partners and around the globe.
13. Contribute to video messages, written materials, and other front-line communication messages in order to build the company into a well-known and respected standard in Africa and around the world.
14. Represent the company in the region and around the world to make sure that it maintains a solid reputation and a credible status across the cotton sector.
15. Overseeing of project costs. Be the focal point for the innovation and growth fund application process for Southern and East Africa.
16. Monitoring budget expenditure, associated reporting, to make sure of efficient and effective use of financial resources within the country.
Furthermore the Regional Manager is expected to work together on activities as agreed with a representative of the company.
- The consultant appointed to this role will report to the Head of Partnerships.
- Salary: depending on experience.
- The consultancy role is estimated to require approximately 40 hours per week, and will be home-based or in a co-working space in a country of operation. The consultancy contract will be for an initial twelve-month fixed term, with extension possible. This contract is a local contract and our client is not able to cover any relocation or expatriation expenses.
- The consultant is expected to attend special meetings and events, some of which may occur in the evenings or weekends. Frequent travel within the region will be required (>30%).
To be successful, candidates for the Regional Manager role will have the following attributes:
- At least 7 years’ working experience in programme and project design and management
- At least 3 years’ experience working in a similar role in an African country
- Track record of effective and successful partnership development and management, including process management and monitoring of performance
- Proven work experience in the agricultural sector and value chains in East and Southern Africa, cash crops
- Proven results in managing fundraising activities and a wide network of partners
- Demonstrated results in conducting negotiation with high level partners and governments
- Experience of working in both international organizations /NGOs and private sector
- Experience in cotton production and textile sector
Skills & knowledge
- Master degree in relevant field (Agronomy, BA, international relations…) or more
- Strong attention to detail, strong analytical and organizational skills
- Strategic influencing and excellent interpersonal, facilitation and negotiation skills, with service-oriented attitude and diplomacy
- Fluency in English with excellent written skills, Portuguese and French highly desirable
- Advanced computer and IT skills, including excellent command of Excel and PPT, and management of project database
- Flexibility, initiative, ability to work autonomously in a remote environment
Are you interested in becoming a Regional Manager in Africa? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.