MAIN PURPOSE OF ROLE AND GENERAL ROLE EXPECTATIONS
The primary purpose of the role is to support the growth and development of existing and new Foods businesses in Africa. The position will involve the following functions:
(1) Planning and execution of projects in Mozambique in the poultry and food business.
(2) Provide leadership to the building and construction team
The position will report directly to the overall project manager in Mozambique with dotted line to the corporate senior project manager.
MISSION AND VISION
The purpose of the organisation is to see God glorified as people are joyfully developing their fullest potential. Their specific focus is in developing profitable and sustainable agro-industrial production chains to release the potential of workers, small scale and emerging farmers and other partners.
REQUIRED MINIMUM EDUCATION/TRAINING
- Electrical or mechanical engineer master’s degree with additional education in food processing
- English speaker and Portuguese highly preferred
REQUIRED MINIMUM WORK EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in engineering project, preferably in the poultry and/or food production sector
TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE / COMPETENCIES
• Strong in project management
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills (writing, speaking)
• Mechanical and hygienic engineering knowledge
• Food processing and food equipment knowledge
• International Standards on Environmental, Quality Systems and Hygienic Engineering
• Ability to implement, to sustain and improve, and to ensure compliance with people safety and food safety regulations.
• Strong proficiency in Microsoft applications Excel, PowerPoint and Word
• Problem solving and crisis management
• Strategic thinker
• Building partnerships
• Financial skill sets
Leadership, management for results and impact, Pro-active, Reliable, Innovative and Critical Thinker
DESCRIPTION OF TASKS
Planning and execution of (mainly poultry) projects in Mozambique
• Ensure that all assets are well designed (i.e. plant layout, equipment selection etc.) and fit the business purpose through applying new technologies, proven principles, thorough design reviews and basic science.
• Support all Value Engineering Analysis (VEA) studies.
• Ensure that the design is directed towards a low cost, highly efficient and flexible operation.
• Plan projects: make sure timing and costs are planned realistically
• Apply TPM principles in all projects
• Identify competitive equipment/services suppliers.
• Engage necessary external contractors to execute projects.
• Ensure safe work sites at all times and installations that are easy to operate, clean and maintain as well as guaranteeing after commissioning the safe, consistent manufacture/distribution of quality products.
• Ensure that when working with external engineering services, contractors, suppliers etc. that the scope, deliverables, performance and milestones are clearly detailed and agreed up front.
• Ensure that a progress report is prepared for all projects on a monthly basis.
Provide leadership to the building and construction team
• Coach the team
• Set targets and standards
• Supervises the outcome of the work
• Gives feedback to team
Start-up / close out phase (commissioning/final report)
• Ensure that the project scope is achieved within the agreed cost and timing.
• Ensure that the operators, mechanics, electricians etc. are effectively trained and that the transfer of the equipment to the client is both smooth and efficient. This includes all the supporting documentation that will be required by the client to operate and maintain the plant. e.g. operating instructions, equipment manuals, plant layouts, maintenance instructions, spare parts listing etc.
• Manage the allocation of all expenditures to clearly defined assets and the entry into the assets register.
• Complete the project file and ensure that it is handed over to the client.
• Complete a final report on all projects and ensure that this is circulated to the key stakeholders.
Are you interested in becoming a Engineering Project Manager in Mozambique? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.