Inclusive Citizen Participation, Gender Equality, Social Inequalities
(m/f/x) – Morocco
Enabel, the Belgian development agency, implements the Belgian governmental cooperation policy. The agency also works for the account of other national and international donors. With its partners in Belgium and abroad Enabel offers solutions addressing pressing global challenges - Climate Change, Urbanisation, Human Mobility, Peace and Security, Economic and Social Inequality - and to promote Global Citizenship. With 1900 staff, Enabel manages about 150 projects in twenty countries, in Belgium, Africa and the Middle East.
In 2011, Morocco started a comprehensive overhaul of the legal framework governing the role and activities of civil society.
The Programme for strengthening citizen participation, which is implemented by Enabel, is part of a broader EU-funded action to support the development of citizen participation in 5 targeted regions (Casablanca-Settat, Souss-Massa, l’Oriental, Tanger-Tétouan-Al Hoceima, Beni Mellal-Khenifra) from 60 pilot municipalities in order to strengthen local governance through transparency, the legitimacy of the social pact and public action as well as the quality of the services provided.
The project contributes to strengthening the participation of civil society in public policies at the local level through two components:
- Support to the development and implementation of the legal and regulatory framework for civil society participation at local level, including the development of digital citizen participation;
- Support to strengthening civil society participation (framework, tools, projects) in public policies.
Locally, the action will aim to:
- Roll out and assist in consultation between Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) and Local Authorities (LAs) in order to foster dialogue with the authorities, participatory democracy and citizen participation;
- Support to the installation of citizen participation tools with the aim of strengthening the quality of use of the tools provided for by law and promoting the development of innovative initiatives such as the installation of digital solutions and platforms;
- Finance co-creation projects involving SCOs and Local Authorities via calls for projects;
- Promote learning in terms of citizen participation (including via digital means) through platforms allowing sharing of practices between municipalities, within regions and at national level.
In your area of expertise and under the supervision of the project manager,
• You implement the project activities that are assigned to you;
• You provide the necessary technical input for achieving the expected portfolio/project results;
• You contribute to quality assurance as well as knowledge building and knowledge management;
• You contribute to change and capacity development of partners.
You are a full part of the project team and are committed to its values and vision; you reflect a dynamic and engaged image of Enabel and the local team in Morocco.
In addition, you regularly update your knowledge of the sector (meetings, (e-)conferences, participation to expert networks…) and share it with your colleagues with a view to improving practices and know-how in relation to the project.
You are committed to introducing new technologies into the learning process of staff members of the project and of the partners and you foster digital development with Enabel’s D4D (Digital for Development) experts.
· Master’s degree in Law, anthropology, sociology, political sciences, international development, international relations or other.
• Minimum 2 years of relevant experience in access to human rights and basic services, social inclusion and/or gender equality;
• Experience in above areas in Morocco, the Maghreb or with Moroccan or Maghreb diaspora;
• Other relevant professional experience outside your country of origin is an asset;
• Experience in relevant projects is an asset.
Required skills and knowledge linked to expertise looked for
• You have good knowledge of the national and international framework on human rights, gender equality and inclusion of vulnerable groups;
• You have good knowledge of the institutional framework of Morocco (institutional networking and sharing of competences) is an asset;
• Your specific skills in leading meetings, workshops and groups are an asset;
• You show you are an initiative builder allowing your colleagues to count on your commitment to the team;
• You build strong proposals and bring innovative solutions to issues you encounter;
• You are able to work and evolve in a changing environment;
• You are familiar with results-based management;
• You are familiar with theories of change;
• You master knowledge management and knowledge building;
• You have a strong affinity with and easily use various digital tools and new technologies;
• You have excellent analytical and writing skills;
• You are fluent in spoken and written French or Dutch. Considering the working language of Morocco and the international environment in which you work, excellent knowledge of
French is required. Good knowledge of English and/or Arabic is an asset.
You are also required to commit to the vision, mission and values of Enabel (https://www.enabel.be/content/enabel-vision-mission-values).
We offer you
• A fascinating and varied job in an international environment.
• A contract for a term of 24 months based at Casablanca with regular travel to Rabat and the field.
• A salary package that comprises the monthly gross salary, in accordance with our salary scales (Class 5), and Enabel expat benefits such as a remoteness, assignment and hardship allowance, (capped) coverage of housing expenses, a moving compensation, an installation compensation, (capped) coverage of school expenses for children accompanying, an insurance package for the whole family, including repatriation insurance, and an annual round-trip flight ticket for each family member.
• In case of expatriation without the (dependent) members of the family, up to six additional round-trip flight tickets to the country of origin or another destination (capped in accordance with Enabel rules).
The amounts vary in function of relevant recognised experience for the function and family composition.
Following this procedure a recruitment reserve of successful applicants may be constituted which may be sourced in the next three years for similar job openings.
Every person who fulfils the conditions listed in our job advertisements may apply. Enabel is committed to equal opportunities and diversity in its workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of gender, origin, age, religion, sexual orientation, disability status or any other factor other than competence.
Are you interested?
Apply here at the latest by 28/10/2021 and include your motivation letter and updated CV.