AGIAMONDO is the personnel service of the German Catholics for Development Cooperation. In the Civil Peace Service (CPS) we offer development workers a meaningful role working with local development agents. The CPS is a personnel programme for peace-building and the prevention of violence in crisis and conflict regions. It sets out to promote a world in which conflicts are settled without violence. Working with church-related and civil-social partner organisations in Liberia, AGIAMONDO aims to make a contribution towards civil conflict management and the sustainable and equitable development of the country through peace-building measures.
For the expansion and further development of a master’s programme at the institute “Mother Patern College of Health Sciences” (MPCHS), we are looking for a social education worker, psychologist or social scientist as a Lecturer for psychosocial counselling (m/f/d), Monrovia, Liberia to start as soon as possible.
Your new role
Due to 14 years of civil war and the subsequent Ebola epidemic in 2014/2015, Liberia’s healthcare system has collapsed for the most part. There are too few trained staff to help people deal with their traumatic experiences and provide the basic medical care required.
The Mother Patern College of Health Sciences (MPCHS) is one of five higher education institutes of the Stella Maris Polytechnic of the Catholic Archdiocese of Monrovia. The mission of the MPCHS is to teach integrated academic, vocational and technical skills to enable students to respond to the rapid developments in Liberia in a dignified and well-prepared manner.
More impressions and information about the work at MPCHS in Liberia can be found here:
Specifically, you will carry out the following tasks:
- You will support the further development and implementation of a two-year master’s course in social work (focus on psychosocial counselling and trauma work).
- You will develop teaching materials.
- You will be part of the MPCHS faculty and will contribute new seminar content.
- You will support the students and offer collegial advice
- You will ensure the proper disbursement and administration of funds locally in accordance with the donor guidelines and AGIAMONDO specifications. In doing so, you will work in partnership with MPCHS.
- You have completed a university degree in social education, psychology, social sciences, social work, education or a comparable subject (at least master’s level).
- You have at least 2 years of professional experience as a counsellor and in the field of trauma work (e.g. trauma education, trauma therapy).
- You have professional experience in the field of adult education.
- You can communicate in fluent English, verbally and in writing.
- You are an EU or Swiss citizen and identify with the goals and concerns of church development and peace work.
What AGIAMONDO offer
- Individual and thorough preparation
- Three-year contract, social security and remuneration in accordance with the German Development Aid Workers Act (Entwicklungshelfergesetz)
- Cultural, language or other professional training, as well as coaching and supervision, individual advice
We look forward to receiving your complete online application in *PDF format (cover letter, resume, references).
Are you interested in becoming a Lecturer for psychosocial counselling in Liberia? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.