The CFC will be responsible for the effective management of Concern Liberia country programme’s finances. This will include responsibility for a strong control environment, finance staff management, capacity building of non-finance staff, partner finance oversight and training, treasury management, financial planning / budgeting, and internal and external reporting. Maintaining and managing controls and procedures to safeguard and account for all assets, funds and interests of Concern’s operations is a crucial part of the role. The post holder is also a member of the senior management team and will participate in all key decisions affecting the country programme.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
Senior Management role:
• Participate in the development of Concern Liberia’s Country Strategic Plan (CSP) and other strategic frameworks (Preparing for Effective Emergency Response (PEER), Security Management Plan (SMP) etc) in collaboration with all relevant staff and third parties as necessary.
• Participate in the management of the country programme’s strategic issues through involvement in decision making.
• Produce strategic analysis for financial and donor management.
• Maintain an effective & efficient system of internal controls which complies with Concern Worldwide’s financial guidelines, collaborating closely with the Systems Director and Logistics staff.
• Ensure that all financial records & accounts are compiled timely, accurately and in line with international accounting standards & donor regulations
• Ensure timely & accurate preparation of monthly management accounts for budget-holders and Country Management to ensure that they can take appropriate action on any significant variances.
• Ensure timely & accurate preparation of financial reports for Dublin (Financial Reporting Pack (FRP)).
• Ensure timely & accurate preparation of donor reports for external donors / agencies.
• Ensure that the systems in place, enhance, as far as possible, the efficiency & effectiveness of the manner in which assets are utilised
Other financial duties
• Facilitate internal, external & donor audits
• Ensure that all statutory deductions & taxes in respect of national staff are complied with & liaise with relevant authorities in this respect.
• Ensure that donor proposal budgets and expenditure & related reports are of high quality, up-to-date and delivered in a timely manner in accordance with Concern policies/procedures, donor requirements and for other interested parties in collaboration with programme team colleagues.
• Identify finance staff needs, ensuring that job descriptions are developed and well understood, properly qualified staff are recruited, inducted and trained as per the needs of the department and the organisation
• Manage the Finance team with particular emphasis on capacity building of staff through mentoring, training, and ensuring that all staff have up-to-date descriptions and Performance and Development Review (PDR) process as per policy.
• Ensure that all department staff are aware of and comply with all of Concern’s policies and procedures.
• Contribute to organisational accountability initiatives, including overseeing the roll out of relevant commitments of Concern under the HAP (Humanitarian Accountability Partnership)
• Take active measures to address equality issues, particularly relating to gender, in programme as well as operational (eg HR) activities.
• Be aware of, understand and comply with all of Concern’s policies and procedures (P4 and Code of Conduct, HR, finance, logistics etc).
Education, Qualifications & Experience:
• Accountancy Qualification (e.g. CPA, ACA, ACCA or equivalent)
• 3 years post qualification experience, at least 1 in an international NGO
• Experience in preparing budgets and reports for international donors.
• Experience in staff capacity development and management
• Fluent English
Special Skills or Personality Requirements:
• Ability to work under pressure with numerous deadlines, and priorities.
• Excellent organisational and planning skills. Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
• Excellent excel skills and knowledge of computerised accounting packages
• Excellent interpersonal skills and cross cultural awareness
• Good sense of humour
• Empathy with Concern’s goals and a commitment to capacity building, protection and participation.
Education, Qualifications & Experience:
• Previous experience in Concern or a similar organization
• Experience with Great Plains GL system
• Experience in West African context
• Experience with USAID, EU and / or Irish Aid donor requirements
• Knowledge of development issues and concepts.
Contract: 2 years
Accompanied / Unaccompanied: Accompanied
Responsible For: Finance Manager (and indirectly finance team of 6)
Basic annual salary: 38,518 to 43,733 euro