Based in Kenya, BURN designs, produces and distributes East Africa’s best-selling, most durable and economical charcoal and wood cookstoves that also dramatically reduce harmful smoke emissions which can cause significant health problems, even death. See our promo video.
Not only does BURN sell the world’s most fuel-efficient charcoal and wood household stoves, but we are also the only cookstove company which manufactures all its products in sub-Saharan Africa’s only state-of-the-art clean cookstove manufacturing facility.
Since 2013, BURN has sold 650,000+ Jikokoa ™ stoves in East Africa. These stoves have helped 3,000,000 beneficiaries save $215 million in fuel expenditures and 2.6 million tons of wood while reducing indoor air pollution by 65%. BURN currently sells ~25,000 stoves per month and are on track to double sales over the next 12 months by expanding its successful model across Africa. BURN has 300 employees and expects strong growth in the number of employees in the coming years.
BURN is now poised to bring its revolutionary biomass cookstoves - as well as a new range of electric, hybrid, and liquid fuel stoves - to Sub-Saharan Africa & beyond. Over the next 3 years BURN will enter 6 new countries and launch 5 new products.
About the role
BURN is looking for a Director of Engineering whose overall responsibility will be to bring new products through the product development process and launch them into the factory, including design, testing, engineering, process development, and developing/launching new production lines.
Roles and Responsibilities
• Have overall responsibility for launching new products in the factory, including timelines, budgets, and risk analysis in addition to technical aspects.
• Manage the detailed design of new products, including process development, equipment selection, design for manufacturability, durability testing, material selection, etc.
• Design and produce production, assembly, and QC tooling as well as custom factory equipment.
• Oversee initial production of new products.
• Manage a team of engineers, testing lab employees and workshop employees. Work closely with designers, the market research team, factory management and the quality control team.
• Develop SOP’s, WI, specs, tolerances, QA processes and procedures.
• Create and adhere to budgets and timelines.
• Support the factory, including troubleshooting, root cause analysis, equipment startup, and continuous improvement.
• Sheet metal punching and forming
• General machine shop knowledge, including CNC equipment
• Must have launched at least 1 production line
• Must have developed and launched at least 1 consumer product
• Jig and fixture design
• Experience with tool/die or moulds
• Working knowledge of materials, specifically metals and plastics
• Basic knowledge and troubleshooting of mechanical, electrical and hydraulic systems
The role will be based in Ruiru (just outside Nairobi), Kenya. If the successful candidate requires a work permit to carry out the role then Burn will process this. The start date is flexible but is ideally within Q4 2019 or beginning of 2020.
Compensation is commensurate with experience.
Please send a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director of Engineering” in the subject line.
Are you interested in becoming a Director of Engineering in Kenya? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.