AGIAMONDO is the personnel service of the German Catholics for Development Cooperation. In the Civil Peace Service (CPS) we offer development workers a meaningful role working with local development agents. The CPS is a personnel programme for peace-building and the prevention of violence in crisis and conflict regions. It sets out to promote a world in which conflicts are settled without violence. Working with church-related and civil-social partner organisations in Kenya, AGIAMONDO aims to make a contribution towards civil conflict management and the sustainable and equitable development of the country through peace-building measures.
To develop a curriculum for peace work and to support the peace-building measures of our partner organisation Sisters of St. Joseph of Tarbes, we are looking for a
Trainer for Adult Education and Peace Work (m/f/x), Nyeri, Kenya
Your new role
Religious tensions and mutual loss of trust within society are increasingly becoming a reality in Kenya. Conflicts and violence occur predominantly in certain regions, but in election periods they occur almost nationwide. Most of the conflicts are resource- and migration-related, but they are also based on political rivalries along ethnic lines, such as the introduction of multi-party politics in the early 1990s or the political unrest in 2007/2008.
The Sisters of St. Joseph of Tarbes (SJT) is an international congregation and has been present in Kenya since 1982. With its mission to live by and build on a sense of community in the world, it is active in eight different dioceses in the country, mostly in conflict regions. The sisters are involved in the communities in areas such as education, early childhood development and health.
The SJT is committed to strengthening the skills and abilities of its sisters in the field of peace-building as early as the formation stage, so that they can face the conflicts that arise in the communities as active peacemakers. You will support the sisters in their daily work, to contribute to a sustainable, peaceful coexistence of all people.
Specifically, you will carry out the following tasks:
- You will develop a curriculum for peace work covering the following topics: conflict analysis, conflict transformation, restorative justice, instruments of sustainable peace work, stress management, active non-violence.
- You will design and conduct training in line with the curriculum for sisters in formation and also for sisters already working in their communities.
- You will work in close cooperation with the formation house Training Director and develop training materials to continually integrate peace work into the sisters’ training programme.
- You will advise and support the sisters in their offices and ministries on conflict-sensitive project work and assist in the preparation of project applications.
- You will be responsible for the proper spending and management of funds locally in accordance with the donor and AGIAMONDO guidelines. In doing so you will work in partnership with the Sisters of St. Joseph of Tarbes.
- You have a university degree in peace and conflict research, sociology, ethnology, political sciences or a comparable subject and have already gained professional experience in peace and conflict work.
- You have experience in adult education, ideally in conducting training courses, and are familiar with peace- and conflict-sensitive approaches to project work.
- You are sensitive when dealing with matters of faith and religion, look forward to working in the sisters’ formation house and can use your communication and consulting skills in a culturally sensitive way.
- You speak and write fluent English.
- You are an EU or Swiss citizen. As a member of the Catholic Church you demonstratively share the goals and concerns of church-related development and peace work.
What AGIAMONDO offers
- Individual and thorough preparation
- Three-year contract, social security and remuneration in accordance with the German Development Aid Workers Act (Entwicklungshelfergesetz)
- Cultural, language or other professional training, as well as coaching and supervision, individual advice
We look forward to receiving your detailed application by 11/12/2022.
Are you interested in becoming a Trainer for Adult Education and Peace Work in Kenya? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.