Komaza is revolutionizing African forestry by unlocking the potential for small-scale farmers to serve booming wood markets. With headquarters in coastal Kenya, we have planted over 1 million trees with more than 10,000 farmers, making us Kenya’s largest commercial tree planter. By leveraging farmers’ contribution of land and labor, Komaza can access effectively limitless land and establish a hectare of trees for far less than big plantations – a powerful disruption to the traditional forestry model. We have been recognized with numerous awards and investments, including Forbes, Ashoka, Mulago Foundation, and Novastar Ventures.
About The Team
People are what drives every aspect of Komaza. Komaza is in the midst of an aggressive expansion phase which will continue for the next few years. Systems need to be built and amazing work has to be accomplished. Komaza wouldn’t have been able to accomplish what we have, without the support of amazing people. The Talent Services team functions as an enabler as well as a support for this team. Innovative and modern HR practices combined with a customer service mentality is what makes it possible for the Komaza team to work and build the future of forestry. The Talent Services team makes sure that the organization is compliant with any laws and regulations, while at the same time works hard to create and maintain a growth and development oriented work environment.
About This Role
The Talent Services Lead is directly responsible for growing and developing the TS (Talent Services) team, systems, and policies. In addition, the TS Lead, together with the TS team will transform the HR function into a customer service function. This role requires somebody who has extensive HR experience in East Africa, has the labor laws and other acts at their fingertips and knows how policies can affect the workforce. At the same time, the role requires somebody who is much more than that. Someone who is innovative and people centric. Someone who can look far beyond the “HR Rulebook”.
What You Will Do
- Transform the HR function into a customer service function
- Gather and analyze HR-related data
- Work directly on reducing absenteeism, churn and increase retention
- Conduct wage surveys and create salary recommendations
- Manage health/life and benefit plans
- Be the head of grievance and investigation panels
- Process and manage payroll data and benefits for senior management
- Process immigration-related applications
- Improve HR systems and policies
What You Have
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Human Resources or related field
- Minimum of 5-8 years post-undergraduate experience in an HR management role
- In-depth knowledge of the Kenyan labor laws and related acts and HR best practices and innovations
- Experience in organizations with a minimum workforce base of 300+ staff
- Experience with BoP employees
- Experience in white-collar as well as production environments
- Start-up and/or Social Enterprise experience is definitely an added advantage
- High energy and enthusiasm; flexible and self-motivated with the drive to do whatever necessary to get the job done
- Comfort working in a company that acts and feels a lot like a startup (dynamic, unstructured, and frequently changing), but at the same time has ambitious international expansion plans.
- Self-directed and intellectually curious - you know how and when to seek feedback in the pursuit of continuous improvement
- Growth-obsessed with a strong desire for personal development
- A collaborative problem solver who seeks the opinions of other teammates and departments in the development of creative and sustainable systems
What We Expect
You are a good fit for Komaza if you want to make a meaningful commitment to this role for a minimum of 2 years. This role is based at our headquarters in Kilifi, Kenya for the foreseeable future. The role offers competitive salary and benefits with potential for further career growth.
Are you interested in becoming a Talent Services Manager in Kenya? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.