Who We Are
Komaza is revolutionizing African forestry by unlocking the potential for small-scale farmers to serve booming wood markets. By combining high-scale operations with digital intelligence, we are currently planting commercial-grade forests at a rate of over 1 million trees with 5,000+ new farmers per year, making us Kenya’s largest industrial tree planter. We hold the only sustainable blueprint for meeting Africa’s $30B wood supply crisis - by leveraging farmers’ contribution of land and labor, Komaza can access nearly limitless land and establish a hectare of trees for far less than big plantations.
We have been recognized with numerous awards and investments, including The Climate Policy Initiative, The Nature Conservancy, Forbes, and Novastar Ventures.
About the Team
Komaza partners with rural farmers to plant and grow thousands of hectares of new woodlots. We sustainably manage the woodlots we’ve planted through efficient harvest operations. We lead research and innovation in technical forestry for smallholder farmers. The Harvest Department leverages data, mobile technology, training, and user-centered business systems to empower Komaza make better farmer related decisions to become the future of African forestry. We are equally comfortable whiteboarding new solutions to complex business problems, digging into excel and GIS, or getting our boots muddy talking to farmers in their fields.
About This Role
The Harvest department is one of the newest teams at Komaza and is expected to grow dramatically over the new few years - hiring dozens of staff, investing in mechanization, adding new teams in Kwale county, and providing some support to our pilot in central Kenya. In this role you will build, lead and grow our harvest planning and operations. You’ll work closely with company leadership to develop and refine the strategic vision for the Harvest department for the next 3-5 years and prioritize activities to achieve this vision. You’ll develop, implement and optimize the management systems, training materials, and SOPs to enable significant growth of Harvest operations. As Harvest Director, you will directly report to the VP Forestry Operations.
What You Will Do
- Harvest OMS: Build the harvest operations management system (OMS) which will allow the harvest operations coordinators to manage dozens of staff and thousands of farms remotely.
- Team: Build the team needed to design our harvest systems and execute them at scale.
- Harvest Systems: Build efficient, effective systems to ensure all farms are thinned/clearfelled/coppice clearfelled at the right time and at the right $/CBM.
- Harvest Data: Work with our technology and growth modeling teams to collect, validate, store, analyze and report the huge volumes of data needed to managed thousands of wood lots across Kilifi and Kwale counties.
- Harvest Innovation: After building the basic systems above, take the lead on designing step-change improvements or modifications to our harvest systems.
- Harvest Execution: Manage, inspire, coach, and problem-solve with the team to hit forest management, CBM, and cost per CBM targets.
What You Have
- Systems Design: You love iterative systems design with a focus on efficiency and effectiveness. You get out into the field personally to try systems and field-test with harvest teams. You are comfortable designing materials and write SOPs personally in addition to working through associates.
- Attitude: You lead from the front and by example. You have a passion for both creative office work and field time. You are a compassionate leader who also pushes team to excel. You own results and get stuff done.
- Data-Driven Decision Making - You collect and draw upon data to improve operational systems and make decisions. You support recommendations with both quantitative and qualitative data (but primarily quantitative data).
If you enjoy learning and are eager for career growth, then join us! This role is based at our headquarters in beautiful Kilifi, Kenya. This role offers competitive salary and benefits with potential for further career growth.
Are you interested in becoming a Harvest Director in Kenya? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.