Komaza is revolutionizing African forestry by unlocking the potential for small-scale farmers to serve booming wood markets. Headquartered in coastal Kenya, we have planted over 1 million trees with more than 10,000 farmers, making us Kenya’s largest commercial tree planter. By leveraging farmers’ contribution of land and labor, Komaza can access effectively limitless land and establish a hectare of trees for far less than big plantations – a powerful disruption to the traditional forestry model. We have been recognized with numerous awards and investments, including Forbes, Ashoka, Mulago Foundation, and Novastar Ventures.
About the Team
With African wood supply under heavy pressure of measures to combat deforestation, and a booming demand driven by economic growth, the Business Development team is continuously working to maximize returns for Komaza and its farmers by addressing the most appealing markets with the most suitable wood products. Curious and impatient, the team combines analytical skills with a hands-on entrepreneurial mentality to develop and test strategies, products and projects to unlock Komaza’s vast growth potential.
About this Role
Are you a driven, strategic problem-solver? Are you excited about starting things from scratch? Do you want to be part of a dynamic and exciting organisation that truly wants to make a social impact? Then this job is for you! As the Business Development Associate, you will play a key role in initiating, developing, and implementing business opportunities to ensure that the wood products we develop are answering our customer needs. Your passion lies in research and data analytics, but you also love to see your proposals being implemented and come to life in practice. To gather the necessary information and ensure successful implementation, you collaborate cross-departmental and with different stakeholders in the office and in the field.
What You Will Do
- Lead or support the research, design, prototyping, evaluation, and implementation of new business opportunities
- Analyse research findings and prepare compelling presentations to support key decisions for management and potential investors
- Facilitate discussions on business process improvements & advising on possible solutions
- Perform cost of sales analyses and coordinate follow-up on identified opportunities
- Capacity building - work with business development team members to convey sales development techniques and technical skills
What You Have
- A Master’s degree in a relevant field
- 2 years working experience in a hands-on analytical role
- A proven track record of solving complex, ambiguous problems in a structured way (e.g., as management consultant, research manager, or business analyst)
- Experience working in East Africa
- Advanced Excel skills for creating analysis and detailed models to inform decision-making
- Passion for Komaza’s mission to lift rural farmers out of poverty through the rapid scaling of our microforestry model
- Excellent at communicating and working with people from a variety of professional and socio-cultural backgrounds
- Flexible, creative, and driven to see projects to completion
- A collaborative problem solver who seeks the opinions of other teammates and departments in the development of creative and sustainable systems
What’s in it for you?
If you like variety and love learning and you are looking for a role that will allow you to develop and build a successful career, join us! This role is based at our headquarters in Kilifi, Kenya. The role offers competitive salary and benefits with potential for further career growth.
Are you interested in becoming a Business Development Associate in Kenya? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.