The commercial aquaculture industry in East Africa is growing rapidly, based on strong demand and excellent natural resources. Population growth, urbanization, and income growth are all rapidly fueling consumers’ ability and desire to buy fresh fish; however, access to fresh fish has declined driven by dwindling wild-catch stocks (e.g., tilapia population has dropped 90% over the last 30 years and continues to decline).
Victory Farms Kenya:
Victory Farms is a fully vertically integrated aquaculture company, with farm operations in the Lake Victoria region. Its founders are committed to building a global 'best-in-class' company, which means placing sustainability at the core of operations. The company was established in 2015 and is now the fastest growing fish farm in the region, accounting for roughly 50% of local fish production and 75% of the industry’s annual growth, and is uniquely positioned to continue to scale by employing best-in-class technologies, people and processes to build the leading global tilapia farm.
OPEN POSITION: General Manager
As we scale from a start-up farm to a more structured entity, we are looking to add a General Manager to our team who can add immediate value to the organization and will report directly to our COO. The ideal candidate will be able to build upon existing structures, refining where necessary, to drive improvements in operational excellence and efficiency.
A successful candidate will:
• Enjoy farm life living in a beautiful, remote area.
• Have relevant experience from similar management positions.
• Have completed higher education (extended work experience can compensate for this)
• “Be a doer” and like to take responsibility by leading others from the front.
• Never say “it’s not my job” and will have a willingness to solve problems even beyond their scope (as necessary).
• Enjoy “getting their hands dirty” and have an “all hands on deck” mentality to problem solving.
• Have the ability to influence others and win their support.
• Collaborate closely with the fish growing function and take a “fish first” attitude to prioritize and complete tasks.
• Be confident and self-assured even in unfamiliar situations.
• Be well organized and enjoy working with concepts, models and strategies.
• Take a broad perspective and consider wider implications and longer-term consequences of incidents, plans and activities.
• Prioritize tasks and keep the team focused on what matters most.
• Rapidly structure and systematically solve ambiguous problems with pragmatic solutions.
• Follow procedures, respect rules and regulations
We are looking for someone with 10+ years (aggregate work experience should exceed 15 years) working in a senior leadership capacity for an agri-business demonstrating the requisite skills to execute VF’s strategy and achieve operational goals across departments.
Main areas of responsibility:
• Develop, measure and track effective KPIs; make iterative improvements through investing in processes, systems, and talent across the organization
• Structure workflows, processes, and SOPs to achieve a highly standardized approach to handling various farm activities.
• Lead and develop a strong team across farm operations, warehousing, maintenance, construction, and processing
• Manage 6 direct reports with approximately 100 FTEs and 200 casual workers
• Ensure continued training and development of individuals to enable progress and promote personnel growth
• Partner with Director of Ops and COO to draft, manage and track farm operations budget (including both OPEX and CAPEX)
• Assume full ownership of construction projects including coordinating construction timelines and resource planning, driving execution, maintaining quality and safety standards.
• Manage and drive efficiency in in our Processing Centre while maintaining the highest quality standards in food safety.
• Identify opportunities to reduce costs by improving operational and capital efficiency.
• Create and maintain a culture consistent with VF’s values that empower individuals to develop, continually challenge the status quo, take measured risks, and embrace change to continually redefine “Best in Class”.
• Create a safe working environment for all employees by developing, implementing, and adhering to Health & Safety protocols and policies.
• Demonstrate desire to relocate and live at the farm (based in rural Homa Bay County).
Job Title: General Manager
Location: 90% Farm (Homa Bay); 10% Non-farm
Compensation: Competitive (Base, Bonus, Management Incentive)
Start date: Immediate
Are you interested in becoming a General Manager in Kenya? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.