Reports to: Hatchery Manager.
Start Date: Immediate.
Victory Farms is looking to recruit an experienced aquaculture professional to make an immediate impact in our fast-growing company. Reporting directly to the Hatchery Manager, the Assistant Hatchery Manager’s duties will be focused on helping to increase our hatchery’s output from its current level of 10-12 million pieces per month.
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to) the following:
• Assessing, revising and developing protocols in the following areas within the Hatchery Department:
o Broodstock Management and Egg Production.
o Genetics – working with an external partner to develop our own genetics program.
o Pathology work on eggs, fry, fingerlings and broodstock.
• Responsible for the regular routine maintenance of equipment within the RAS system.
• Responsible for the safe keeping, regular calibration and maintenance of all environmental monitoring equipment.
• Hatchery Water Quality Management - ensuring excellent water quality within the hatchery re-circulation system at all times.
• Maintaining egg yields and hatch rates at predetermined company targets.
• Coordinating the safe and efficient transfer of fingerlings from hatchery to pond nursery to predetermined monthly targets.
• Ensuring effective communication with the Nursery and Production departments to ensure fish populations are maintained to the level required to achieve company production targets
• Coordinating the day-to-day activities of the Incubation and Egg Collection sub-departments.
• Managing schedules and deadlines relating to the Hatchery Department
• Ensuring relevant data is captured daily by the different sub-departments.
• Compiling weekly and monthly egg collection, fish stocking and water quality results for consideration by the Hatchery Manager.
• Providing historical egg collection, fish stocking and water quality data by developing and utilizing filing and retrieval systems.
• Providing daily operations reports to the Hatchery Manager.
• Actively training junior team members to facilitate their professional development in line with the company ethos.
• Assessing staff performance in the Hatchery Department and provide coaching and guidance to ensure maximum efficiency.
• Ensure hatchery operations adhere to company policies and regulations.
Requirements and qualifications:
• The successful candidate is likely to have a good solid background in aquaculture sciences, preferably with at least a B.Sc. level of education, although experienced technician candidates are also encouraged to apply.
• Minimum of 3 years’ experience in tilapia hatcheries.
• Fluent in English.
• Be willing to relocate to rural Kenya.
• Most crucially of all, they must be willing to get their hands wet and dirty and be as passionate about fish as we are!
About Victory Farms.
Victory Farms aims to become the leading tilapia farm in Africa over the next 5 years while maintaining the highest environmental and social standards. We endeavor to be the most sustainable tilapia farm in the world, adhering to global standards and best practices, and producing affordable, sustainable protein to feeding millions of people across the Africa. VF is the fastest growing aquaculture business on the continent and the largest producer of Tilapia in East Africa.
The company is rapidly expanding its vertically integrated model: production, processing, and sales & distribution to keep pace with the rapid growth in demand for protein. Victory Farms is employing world-class technologies, people, and processes to build a model for sustainable protein production on the continent. The Company strives for the highest standards in performance, execution, culture, and integrity.
Victory Farms was established on Lake Victoria in 2015 with both on-shore and off-shore facilities. The head office is in Nairobi, and its farm site is in Homa Bay County, and distribution across Kenya. Since inception, Victory Farms has become one of the fastest growing companies in aquaculture globally. In its first eight months of operation, the Company became the largest aquaculture producer in Kenya. Today, it is the largest aquaculture player in East Africa and operates one of largest hatcheries on the continent. VF’s growth trajectory provides enormous opportunity for excited professional to uplift their careers and make an impact within a diverse operation. We recognize the utmost importance which contributions by individuals and teams have to the success of Victory Farms. We work to create a fantastic environment for our employees. An environment where employees to have an opportunity to develop professionally and personally.
Are you interested in becoming a Assistant Hatchery Manager in Kenya? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.