Who We Are
Komaza is revolutionizing African forestry by unlocking the potential for small-scale farmers to serve booming wood markets. By combining high-scale operations with digital intelligence, we are currently planting commercial-grade forests at a rate of over 1 million trees with 5,000+ new farmers per year, making us Kenya’s largest industrial tree planter. We hold the only sustainable blueprint for meeting Africa’s $30B wood supply crisis - by leveraging farmers’ contribution of land and labor, Komaza can access nearly limitless land and establish a hectare of trees for far less than big plantations.
We have been recognized with numerous awards and investments, including The Climate Policy Initiative, The Nature Conservancy, Forbes, and Novastar Ventures.
About The Team
Komaza’s Sales team is responsible for taking our wood products to market and getting the best returns for our farmers’ hard work. We build long-term relationships and go the extra mile to close deals and meet our customers’ needs. We continuously share customer feedback and market trends with the wider Komaza team, to help set us up for future success. With our incoming harvests scaling by a factor 100 over the next 5 years and plans to introduce numerous new products, the coming years will be particularly exciting!
About This Role
The Sales Director will build and lead Komaza’s Sales team to rapidly scale untreated and treated wood product sales in Coastal Kenya, and plywood and sawn timber in Central Kenya. You own the Sales strategies, build and maintain key relationships, close big deals, and make the team successful. You are the voice of the customer in the company leadership team and rally the rest of the company to be extremely customer-centric next to farmer-centric.
What You Will Do
- Oversee Komaza’s Coastal and Central Kenya Sales teams, supporting them in developing work plans, and motivating them to go above and beyond
- Create long-term sales growth plans, based on solid logic and analysis, and a strong understanding of both market and operational realities
- Improve Komaza’s offering in the market by building and maintaining excellent understanding of relevant customer segments, competition, and internal strengths
- Build awareness and preference for Komaza’s products in the market through targeted cost-effective marketing and a superior customer experience
- Work with the Sales Design team and other departments to develop and continuously improve both strong systems and internal controls
- Support the introduction of new products by providing ideas and feedback from the field and running strategic sales pilots in collaboration with the Product Strategy team
- Oversee the onboarding of new key accounts while maintaining strong trust relationships with existing accounts. Continuously identify and cultivate relevant relationships across Kenya and East Africa
What You Have
- Master’s degree in Business, Economics, or related field
- Between 6-10 years of working experience, with direct sales experience and at least 4 years in a commercial management role
- Experience in the timber industry is a plus
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills
- Experience working and living in Kenya
- Fluent English required; fluency in Swahili and local languages is a plus
How you Work
- Communicate clearly and proactively
- Demand results with strong ability to motivate and create a positive energy in the team
- Manage projects in a structured way using plans, budgets, and tools
- Be on the front lines, building relationships with customers and team members
- Leverage CRM software and GSuite tools to optimize productivity
- Positive, flexible and adaptable with the ability to make changes in the Sales department as the commercial strategy develops
- Highly sociable and able to build strong relationships with a diverse range of potential customers
- Quick to grasp things, see relationships, and deduct insights from challenges and opportunities faced in the field
- Master of self-management; able to run with instructions independently while being trusted to deliver and to seek feedback when needed
- Growth-obsessed with a strong desire for personal development
What we Expect
You are a good fit for Komaza if you want to make a meaningful commitment to this role for a minimum of 2 years. This role is either based at our headquarters in Kilifi or at our Nairobi office with regular trips to Kilifi. Significant travel of approximately 50% will be required within Kenya for lead generation, new and existing customer meetings, and internal team meetings. The role offers competitive salary and benefits with significant potential for further career growth.
Are you interested in becoming a Sales Director in Kenya? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.