An international seed company is seeking a Farm Manager for a production farm in Kenya.
PURPOSE OF POSITION :
Main responsibility is to oversee, coordinate and manage the daily production operations on a farm with greenhouses and seedling nursery. To ensure seed production under GSSP condition (from sowing to seed extraction) and in compliance with quantity, quality, cost and time constraints. The farm manager will be responsible for transferring essential production knowledge and experience to the rest of the production team.
MAIN MISSIONS :
In this position, the successful candidate will be responsible for all operational activities:
• Oversee, coordinate and manage the daily farm production operations in greenhouses, seedling nursery and open field plots (sowing, transplanting, cultivation, pollination, harvest and seed extraction).
• Responsible for ensuring that sowing activity, pollination, harvest and seed extraction activities respect deadlines and quality controls.
• Transplanting and cultivation: close follow up on crops with Crop and Maintenance Managers, ensure weeding, irrigation, staking, and pruning according to farm policies and procedures
• Management of the production team, including supervisors and employees: recruitment, training and development of the team.
• Supervise and guarantee correct chemical use, IPM, environmental issues.
• Supervise and guarantee correct GSPP Implementation.
• Establish and ensure that operating budgets are followed
• In coordination with Supply managers, manage day-to-day seed production business aspects in Kenya
• Provide up-to-date data and information on local issues impacting the BU production business in Kenya, to include:
- Production cost and pricing
- Farmer Capacity, capability and grower base
- New opportunities in terms of areas and growers suitable for vegetable seed production
• Maintain good public relations with neighboring farms, regional and national government authorities (KEPHIS, NEMA,..) and other stakeholder organizations.
• Maintain a collaborative environment with colleagues and implementation of the company policies
This position plays an essential role in the implementation of Health and Safety policy and procedures of the company.
We are looking for a person with strong agronomic knowledge and experience and a real passion for agriculture. You will have 5 - 10 years of experience in general farm management (seed production preferred) and are keen to join a company where you can expand and share your knowledge with experts from all over the world. You are highly motivated and capable of motivating others with strong leadership and communication skills. Excellent organizational and planning skills.
• Degree in Horticulture or Agriculture
• Proficient user of Microsoft Office Tools
• Fluent English and Kiswahili
Are you interested in becoming a Farm Manager in Kenya? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.