Our client is active in sustainability programmes in cocoa, coffee, and cashew.
For them we are seeking a new Country Manager in Ivory Coast.
Our client is looking for a Country Manager to oversee the local projects and to liaise with the stakeholders, today mainly in cocoa. The Country Manager primarily has an operational role in leading the office and managing 25+ office and field staff, and a representation role towards local farmer groups and partners. Additional, in your role, you will be working in collaboration with the procurement team, Project managers responsible for various portfolio’s. The role of the Country Manager is to facilitate and enable the execution of all on the ground sustainability activities from certification to projects on reforestation and starting savings groups for farmers in Ivory Coast.
Key activities and responsibilities
1. Represent our client in Ivory-Coast towards clients, donors, govt agencies and sector partners
• Be a spokesperson at sector events/conferences, and feeding sector developments to HQ
• Keep meaningful relationships with govt offices (CCC) and sector partners (WCF, IDH)
• Identify and develop new partnerships with local funding or implementing partners (GIZ, ICI)
• Organize partnership events and field trips for client representatives
2. Manage the country office with sustainability team of 25+ of program managers and field teams
• Ensure internal communication (meetings, documents) to document and align with the team on project targets and planning, procurement volumes and task division between
the team members.
• Manage recruitment, HR performance management, personal development for all staff
• Support office processes, such legal entity establishment, rent, insurance, CAPEX procurement
• Ensure alignment within the team, facilitating exchange and coordination among different portfolio’s
3. Team Management & Support of the local Team by ensuring activity coordination + alignment with the vertical heads in HQ.
• Act as support and sparring partner for the Project Managers and Certification Managers in IVC
• Monitor progress of certification, mapping and traceability activities of their cocoa suppliers and coordinate M&E digital data collection
• Ensure necessary operational support & inputs e.g., equipment & financing from HQ.
• Directly manage the certification officer in the planning and execution of field activities (such as farmer trainings, certification audits, premium payments)
• Provide support to M&E project manager on the strategy and execution of farmer database management, mapping and traceability recordkeeping to ensure up to date reporting to HQ
• Report to HQ on project indicators and with narrative reports for client/donor programs
4. Supplier relation management and support on procurement and shipment of traceable cocoa
• Maintain relations with farmer group management to facilitate project execution and procurement
• Coordinate annual contracting with farmer groups on cocoa volume + sustainability premiums
• Manage and Ensure the deliveries by Cooperates of the of traceable cocoa volumes
5. Finance and project audits
• Manage and optimize the expenditure of country budget and cash request, by identifying cost savings and synergies and finding solutions when budget lines risk to be
• Ensure accurate financial administration for management reports and coordinate financial project audits (financial report, time sheets etc)
• Coordinate contracted premium payments to suppliers and liaise on cashflow for operations with financial management of suppliers
You will be working in a dynamic sustainability team. In Ivory-Coast, you will be working with a team of 10+ at the office in Abidjan, and a 60+ strong field team across the country. Internationally, you will be in contact with our head office team and other origin teams and work in close collaboration with our sector partners and cocoa suppliers.
Qualities our client is looking for:
• A bachelor’s or master’s degree, preferably in Business, International Development or related field
• At least 5 years’ experience in operational management and leading a team
• Experience in managing field activities in rural context
• Affinity with intercultural communication (Africa, Europe)
• You thrive in a fast-paced working environment, and you are able to balance different priorities
• Self-starter and all-round mentality; willing to execute simple tasks as well as manage big portfolios
• A passionate and ambitious worker; accurate, efficient and problem-solving
• You need to be innovative and driven to continuously improve our projects and procedures
• Fluency in French & English
What is offered to you:
You will be part of a fast-growing organization and broad network with excellent future career opportunities. Our client offers substantial freedom in your work, engagement in a broad range of sustainability topics, and personal development opportunities. The client offers a competitive salary, housing and transportation and good other secondary employment conditions. Work status 40 hours per week. Based in Abidjan, Ivory-Coast, with regular travel to the field, and business trips to other offices in West Africa.
Are you interested in becoming a Country Manager Ivory Coast? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.