Form International and Form Ghana are implementing a multi-donor funded programme (funding until 2021) that aims to restore the degraded forest and agricultural landscape in the fringes of Form Ghana’s reforestation project in the Tain II Forest Reserve.
With a long term aim to improve the management, productivity and biodiversity values at landscape scale in the Tain II region, the programme implements pilot interventions that assist local communities and smallholders to effectively establish tree plantations, climate smart agriculture and to enhance natural resource management. The interventions should lead to higher productivity, more income generation and sustainable land management by the local communities.
At the landscape level, the project seeks to strengthen landscape governance with key stakeholders such as Forestry Commission, Traditional Authorities and Assemblies to address fire risk reduction, nature conservation and improved land management. The programme builds on the Public Private Partnership that Form Ghana has in place since 2013 with Forestry Commission and Traditional Authorities.
To date over 200 farmers are engaged in agroforestry activities, restoration interventions cover 2000 hectares, and various communities participate in the programme’s community fire programme. The programme is actively working to include more farmers, restoring more land, developing value chains for target crops and expanding the community fire programme.
For this landscape programme Form International now seeks an experienced Programme Manager to lead the implementation of the programme.
The position as Programme Manager provides a unique opportunity to engage hands-on with Forest Landscape Restoration, have meaningful impact on the lives of local people and improve landscape management, while building on Form Ghana’s experience, established structures and Form’s local and international support team.
The role of the Programme Manager is to deliver this programme according to defined objectives and requirements, project planning, manage project budgets, manage the project extension team, manage subcontracts and consultants, ensure smooth communication with the (internal) project team and external partners, and facilitate the landscape stakeholder processes. The Programme Manager also supports the senior management in the continuation and upscaling of the programme (strategy and funding). The successful candidate will be employed by Form International (in The Netherlands) with most time in Ghana at the programme's site.
· Manage project cycles (planning, implementation, monitoring, reporting)
· Programme financial management and reporting
· Manage, train and motivate the local project team
· Recruitment of project staff
· Provide technical guidance to the project and staff
· Hire and manage subcontracts and consultants
· Advise and proactively engage with senior management as needed to ensure sound progress
· Ensure smooth communication with the (internal) project team and external partners
· Facilitate landscape stakeholder processes
· Strategy and fundraising for upscaling and new landscape restoration programmes
· MSc degree level qualification in Tropical Agriculture/(Agro)forestry/Agri-business or similar
· Experience in sub-Saharan Africa is required, experience in Ghana is an advantage
· At least 7 years of working experience in Tropical Agriculture or (Agro)forestry, with at least 3 years in (project) management positions
· Proven entrepreneurial experience, ability to take initiative and innovate
· Experience with project management, planning, budget control, monitoring and reporting
· Strong verbal and written English language skills
· Excellent (intercultural) communication skills
· Experience in building (project) teams
· Experience with maize and/or cashew is considered an advantage
· (Sustainable) agri value chain management experience is considered an advantage
· Experience with smallholder farming, organisation and finance is considered an advantage
· Experience with stakeholder processes is considered an advantage
What we offer
· A full-time position as Programme Manager in the Form International team for an intended period of 2 years, with good opportunities to grow to a permanent position in the company
· A market conform salary and secondary terms of employment, fitting your knowledge and experience
· A high degree of independence and responsibility
· A tightly-knit team of professional colleagues, that cooperate in an informal way
· An excellent work climate with perspectives for further development
About Form International and Form Ghana
Form International is a forest management and services company that manages forest assets in Africa and delivers a range of technical and financial services to clients worldwide.
The firm is active both as an advisor in the forest sector and as manager of forest assets. Assets under management for our clients encompass 27,000 hectares of sustainable forest plantations, forest restoration, nature conservation and agroforestry in Ghana and Tanzania. The focus is on the restoration of degraded forest lands into productive, ecologically and socially functioning landscapes.
Form International was established in 1992 and is based in Hattem, The Netherlands. The team is characterized by an ambitious, down-to-earth mentality and a practical approach. All consultants and managers have international working experience, mainly in tropical countries. The organisational structure is open and informal with direct communication between management and staff. At Form International there is room for creativity, personal input and knowledge sharing.
Form Ghana is an FSC certified, internationally leading forest plantation company started in 2007 and managing 20,000 hectares of land with 10,000 hectares reforested with teak, indigenous tree plantations and nature conservation areas. The company employs 1,200 people and interacts actively with local communities and authorities to develop in harmony with neighbours and stakeholders.
Are you interested in becoming a Landscape Restoration Programme Manager in Ghana? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.