For our client, who is an impact investor active in Africa, we are looking for a Country Head in Ghana. The candidate should be an experienced manager and investor in agribusiness.
The Country Head is responsible for managing the Ghana operations including staff, budgets and activities and, working with other Directors, and has investment responsibility for all investments in Ghana.
• Management of investment origination process with the aim of maintaining a continuous pipeline of promising investments.
• Leading the development, appraisal and negotiation of new subordinated debt and equity agribusiness investments. This involves:
1. doing or overseeing initial screening of opportunities (including KYC) and obtaining “clearance in principle” to proceed from an internal ‘Executive Committee’ of peer directors.
2. leading the commercial negotiations on the structure and terms of any investment
3. carrying out or overseeing the full appraisal and due diligence of investment opportunities (including commercial, legal, regulatory, financial modelling) and preparation and writing of required internal investment approval papers.
4. overseeing commercial aspects of the execution, working closely with internal or external legal counsel.
• Oversight of portfolio of existing (and new) investments including managing or providing regular monitoring; carrying out investment reviews and providing (or procuring from within the compmany or externally) management support to help investees achieve their business targets.
• Development and management of greenfield ‘project development’ investments; where the company is principal developer as well as the financier.
• Development of key strategic commercial relationships and alliances; including relationship with key donor funders.
• Responsibility for regulatory compliance for Ghana.
• Responsibility for supplier and contractor relationships.
• Line management of all in country employees.
• Budget responsibility for Ghana.
The candidate reports to the West Africa Regional Director and ensures that the members of the Executive Committee, Investment Committee and Board of the company are kept informed of business activities through regular updates.
The successful candidate will have:
• Strong experience (not less than 7-10 years) in a relevant investment business (e.g. private equity, DFI, Impact Investor, investment banking);
• Experience of operating in Africa and ideally in agribusiness and in West Africa;
• Excellent commercial negotiation skills and experience (including familiarity with debt and equity documentation) ;
• Strong experience in corporate finance, and financial modelling of project finance or equity investments;
• Excellent oral and written skills;
• Collegiate working style with a strong management capability;
• Ideally understanding and experience of donor funding and development priorities in Africa; and their reporting requirements.
The package provided is depending on experience. Good secondary benefits provided.