Overall Purpose of the Role:
Working under the direct management of the Head of Programme, the Cash specialist responsible to provide technical support for the development and implementation of all cash-based assistance and for taking the lead in ensuring best practice is followed in all cash and market-based approaches across sectors, including but not limited to implementation of sector specific and multi-purpose cash assistance grants, market assessments and training of other teams in cash & market-based approaches. Furthermore, the Cash Specialist will be required to provide regular support and guidance to project cycle management and proposal development with specific contributions in the area of cash and markets. The Cash Specialist also expected to contribute towards DRC’s strategic direction for cash and market based interventions.
- Support in the conduction of needs or/and vulnerability assessments in order to select, design and implement appropriate cash modalities and methodologies.
- Conduct market analysis in current as well as new areas of operations.
- Guide on price monitoring for key commodities and based on needs for programs.
- Conduct market assessments for key commodities (using EMMA, MAG, etc.), labor market assessments, and support on market-related components of other sector assessments, as needed.
- Contribute to the development of any technical guidance related to cash distribution activities in close relationships with technical coordinators.
Cash Distribution Programming and Technical Support
- Support the technical design and delivery of cash-based program interventions in different programme areas, including Emergency, ESNFI, Protection, WASH and Livelihoods, as needed.
- Ensure cash distributions are properly documented and meet technical quality, accountability, and protection standards in compliance with DRC and donors’ regulations.
- Coordinate closely with DRC programs to ensure harmonization of approaches and potential integration between programs.
- Provide support for the implementation of all the MEAL activities related to cash and market interventions and in coordination with relevant managers and with the support of MEAL department.
- Creation of reporting and indicators follow up for monthly-based tools.
- Support site-level recruitment processes for cash teams, and advice on the most appropriate staffing structures for cash/market based interventions.
- Promote professional development by identifying training and capacity building opportunities and ensure relevant staff are well versed in cash concepts.
- Provide all assistance required to ensure that programme teams are able to use market-based approaches in their work. This includes, but it’s not limited to, training in cash modality selection, market assessment methodologies, sourcing voucher providers, assisting in vendor selection and training, assisting in monitoring of processes.
- Develop the Cash Team’s capacity to meet good quality standards by providing supervision and coaching/on the job training.
Logistics and Procurement:
- Collaborate with the logistics/procurement and finance teams to map and contract relevant and program suitable financial service providers in current and new areas of operations.
- Participate in tendering processes, procurement committee meetings and in the review of bid analyses as needed.
- Together with the logistics and procurement team, participate in designing market surveys of goods and services relevant to cash activities.
- Advise on the required resources to be available in order to implement cash-based interventions on a good quality and timely basis.
- Coordinate with relevant national and international actors and actively participate in relevant working groups and other meetings in the area of responsibility. Ensure full cooperation and engagement with the relevant UN clusters and Cash Working Groups.
- Contribute to the context follow-up in DRC’s areas of interventions.
- Ensure Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD) approach to distribution is consistently applied through community and rights based participatory methods.
- Budget follow ups with field CTP managers.
- Any other duties as directed by the Head of Program.
The Cash Specialist will report to the Program Manager.
Contract: One-year contract. Salary and other conditions are offered in accordance with DRC’s Terms of Employment for expats. This position is graded at A14 for international staff or competitive salary and conditions as per national staff terms of employment, as relevant. This is a non-family posting.
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia with frequent travel to the field locations
Commitments: DRC has a Humanitarian Accountability Framework, outlining its global accountability commitments. All staff are required to contribute to the achievement of this framework.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate each of DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results through the country team both to position DRC and ensure excellence in all deliverables.
- Collaborating: You lead initiatives at country operation level by involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen to beneficiaries, staff and other stakeholders; and you communicate concisely and persuasively
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values and set a very clear standard for your country team members.
Experience and Technical Competencies:
- At least bachelor’s degree in relevant field or extensive experience can substitute qualification.
- Minimum 4 to 5 years of cash/markets programme experience with INGOs or NGOs.
- Excellent communication skills – verbal and in writing.
- Excellent inter-personal skills and proven ability to negotiate with a wide range of people (internally and externally).
- Ability to adapt to the complex and stressful working conditions of the area of operations.
- Cultural and gender sensitivity, adaptability, willingness to travel.
- High-level knowledge and practice with Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.
- Ability/willingness to work with extremely tight deadlines and multiple tasks.
- Excellent verbal and written English.
- Knowledge of Amharic an added advantage.
Application and CV
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact email@example.com
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.dk.
"Please note that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis”.
Are you interested in becoming a Cash Specialist in Ethiopia? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.