Head of Internal Control (Democratic Republic of Congo – DRC)
Our client is looking for a Head of Internal Control for a wildlife conservation organisation to work from its office in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo. They are a UK-registered charity and have a 25-year contract with the Congolese Wildlife Authority (“ICCN”) to manage a wildlife park.
Reporting to: CFO and Board
To review all internal processes, systems and policies and make recommendations and
actively assist in implementing procedures to ensure the risks to the organisation are maximally mitigated.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
- Reviews and appraises the soundness, effectiveness, and proper application of accounting
and financial controls, compliance procedures and controls throughout the park.
- Conducts and directs ongoing reviews of organization controls, operating procedures,
and compliance with policies and regulations
- Assesses the adequacy and extent of programs designed to safeguard organization assets
- Compiles and issues reports detailing conclusions and providing recommendations for
- Recommends employee training and modifications to procedures as needed
- Analyses and concludes on effectiveness and efficiency of control environment
- Identifies control gaps and opportunities for improvement
- Identify areas of strengths and weaknesses and engage in continuous education and staff
development re best practices
- Reports risk management issues and internal controls deficiencies identified directly to
management and provides recommendations for improving the organisation's operations
Skills, Experience and Attributes:
- Educated to degree level in a related field or equivalent
- At least 10 years’ experience in accounting, finance, auditing or Business Management in
a rapidly growing business
- Experience in writing internal policies and procedures and process evaluation and
- A demonstrated knowledge of internal controls
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong analytical skills. Detail oriented and ability to work and interpret figures and other
- Fluent in both French and English
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to address issues and effect change
- Capable of working independently, under pressure in demanding field conditions. Very
regular traveling required throughout the park’s main locations.