Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified head of programme that is ready for a challenge. Are you ready to support the most vulnerable population by ensuring strategic programming and strengthening DRC’s programme quality, standards and learning in the Central African Republic?
About the job
DRC is one of the largest INGOs in the Central African Republic, working in three regions (Ouham et Ouham-Pendé). The programmatic strategy focuses on the following three sectors: protection and social cohesion; economic recovery and livelihoods; emergency response to the immediate needs of displacement. Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Represent DRC with government authorities, donors, UN agencies, humanitarian agencies and other partners in regards to programme.
- Manage, coordinate and coach members of the programme team, ensuring their professional development and capacity building as needed
- Ensure that DRC values and code of conduct are respected and upheld, including through setting a personal example
- Oversee and support capacity building for expatriate and national staff on technical issues and program cycle management, based on assessment of the critical program improvement needs of the CAR mission.
- Develop, disseminate and implement the DRC CAR programme strategy within DRC team.
- Ensure the development of sector programme strategy in line with the country programme strategy. Guide Programme Coordinator in the implementation of strategies through collaboration and proactive programme development and implementation.
- Work in close cooperation with programme and support staff in CAR, and actively seek support, knowledge and coaching as necessary from colleagues in other regions and HQ
Programme Quality and Development
- Ensure that the CAR mission designs and delivers high quality, donor compliant and adequately resourced projects
- Oversee and support continuous improvement of programme quality standards, including application and harmonisation across field bases.
- In collaboration with the Program Development and Quality Control Manager, develop a fundraising strategy in line with the Strategic Programme Document of the mission
- Establish strong and efficient partnerships with organisations, donors and authorities, in line with the DRC partnership management policy and CAR programme strategy.
- Assess and improve DRC CAR’s accountability measures in accordance with DRC’s global Core Humanitarian Standard commitments.
- In collaboration with the Program Development and Quality Control Manager, ensure that DRC CAR implements high-quality Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning across all projects, including that learning is captured and used in program design and implementation.
- Support the drafting of project proposals and budgets, ensuring strong cross-departmental coordination between programme and support teams, including field coordinators, as well as close liaison and timely consultation with HQ.
- Support the grants team in timely submission of high-quality donor reports.
To be successful in this role we expect you to be highly commited and a strong manager that will ensure high programme quality. Moreover, we also expect the following:
- Min. 5 years’ experience overseas in complex emergencies, preferably with refugees and/or IDPs
- Relevant university degree (Master or Post graduate), in international relations and/or development, political science or similar field.
- Min. 3 years’ experience in staff management and development.
- Good understanding of displacement issues and related international standards/frameworks;
- Strong experience in programme development and proven program development abilities
- Substantial NGO project management experience, including responsibility for strategy design, staffing, admin/finance management, contract management and donor relations
- Experience of leading strategic programming and planning, implementation, monitoring and learning
- Proven track record of negotiating and advocating with government authorities and donors for solutions that serve the needs of beneficiaries, pursuing values of internationally recognized and universal character in a post-conflict context with a strong respect of local culture and tradition
- Ability to manage a large workload and multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines
- Ability to live and work under pressure in a rapidly changing and sometimes insecure environment
- Team player with excellent communication and strong participatory leadership skills
- Excellent written and spoken French and good knowledge of English
- Previous work experience from the Central African Republic
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: 12 months
Designation of Duty Station: Bangui, Unaccompanied, Non-Family Duty Station
Start date: ASAP
Application deadline: January 15, 2019.
Kindly note that the screening will be done on a rolling basis and DRC reserve the right to close the advertisement before the ending date mentionned above.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Are you interested in becoming a Head of Programme in CAR? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.