Dienste in Übersee is searching on behalf of partner organisations of Bread for the World:
Psychologist/ social scientist (f/m/x) with experience in gender-based violence and women's empowerment in Cameroon
The northern regions of Cameroon are particularly affected by cases of gender-based violence. The region in the north of the country is characterised by a high poverty rate, a low level of education and limited access to resources. The migration of many young males and the presence of military bases in the region also increase the vulnerability and marginalization of women in this region.
The partner organisation Association des Femmes et Filles de l'Adamaoua (AFFADA) is an NGO based in Yaoundé. AFFADA works mainly with women and young girls in the northern province of Adamaoua in the fields of combating poverty and social exclusion, gender equality and women's empowerment. The organisation's main goal is to enable self-determination for girls and women through education and participation in local decision-making processes.
Saare Tabitha is the girls' education center of the UEBC (Union des Eglises Baptistes au Cameroun), based in Maroua in the Extrême-Nord region. In addition to educating young girls and women, Saare Tabitha is committed to strengthening the position of women in North Cameroon society, fighting social inequality and promoting peaceful coexistence between religious, ethnic and social groups.
The organisations have similar thematic focuses and are planning a joint project on gender-based violence (GBV) and reproductive health.
As a professional, you will contribute in capacity building of the staff and professionalization in the areas of GBV, reproductive health, and women's empowerment in both organizations.
In more detail, you will be responsible for the following:
• You will support the professionalisation of the psychosocial and legal counseling and support center for women in Ngaoundéré.
• You will design and give training for the staff of AFFADA and Saare Tabitha on the topics of GBV and reproductive health.
• Together with colleagues from AFFADA and Saare Tabitha, you plan awareness-raising measures for various target groups.
• You will accompany and strengthen local groups on the topic of GBV and empowerment of women and girls.
• You will support in project management, conducting studies and building databases.
• You will promote network building through cooperation with various relevant actors.
The professional will live (with his/her family) in Ngaoundéré with regular trips to Maroua and the surrounding area.
• You have completed a degree in psychology, social sciences, public health or a similar field.
• You have in-depth knowledge and several years of experience in GBV and women's empowerment, as well as initial experience in reproductive health.
• Ideally, you have knowledge of project management and awareness and sensitisation methods.
• You enjoy organising and conducting trainings and are able to express complex content in a simple and understandable way.
• Your good oral and written French skills enable you to communicate with the target group and your colleagues.
• You have a high level of intercultural sensitivity and experience, preferably in African countries.
The placement is within the framework of the "Civil Peace Service" (ZFD) program on the basis of the German Development Aid Workers Act.
Citizenship of a Member State of the European Union or Switzerland is required.
Benefits provided by Bread for the World and Dienste in Übersee
Bread for the World provides a framework in which the professionals of Dienste in Übersee share their knowledge and skills with people of another culture.
Supportive cooperation, mutual learning and intercultural exchange are enabled by:
• Individual preparation
• Three year contract with benefits in accordance with the German Development Aid Workers Act
Please upload your application now.
Our new job portal with all current advertisements can be found here.
Dienste in Übersee gGmbH is a 100% subsidiary of the Protestant Agency for Diakonia and Development with the brand Bread for the World
Are you interested in becoming a Psychologist/soc.scientist@gbv&women's empowerment in Cameroun? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.