VHW organization description:
Village Health Works (VHW) was founded in 2006 in partnership with the community of Kigutu, Burundi. VHW uses a holistic model to improve local livelihoods and restore dignity and hope, focusing first on treating and preventing illness through primary health care services and then integrating education, sustainable agriculture, and economic development programs. VHW has built an extensive campus in Kigutu that is nestled amongst lush mountains and overlooks beautiful Lake Tanganyika. With close to 500 full- and part-time employees in Burundi, as well as a small team in the United States, VHW delivers a wide-array of programs in a catchment area of 200,000 people within the provinces of Rumonge and Bururi.
Looking forward, VHW is investing in two new initiatives that will extend its impact across Burundi and serve as a model for the country and region. VHW is currently constructing the Kigutu Hospital and Women’s Health Pavilion, a 150-bed surgical and teaching hospital, which is expected to be completed before the end of 2019. Additionally, VHW is establishing the Kigutu International Academy, a grade 9-12 boarding school that will produce a new generation of entrepreneurial leaders for Burundi and its partner organization, the Teacher Leadership Institute, that will provide innovative professional development for educators from across the country.
VHW is seeking a Chief Operating Officer to oversee operations, program delivery and administration across the organization during this time of bold growth. The COO must be a strong manager and team leader. S/he will play a pivotal role in ensuring that VHW delivers outstanding results in all areas through superior planning, program delivery, management and communication.
Candidates must demonstrate significant experience in program management and leading teams in challenging contexts in Africa. The ideal candidate will have experience in: planning; building systems and procedures across an organization; developing accountability frameworks; and setting and holding team members to high performance standards. We seek an experienced professional with an entrepreneurial mind-set, who constantly strives for operational excellence and shows a deep commitment to the mission and values of VHW. Candidates should have demonstrated ability to motivate and build teams, model a culture of continuous improvement, and inspire others.
1. Develop and implement systems and processes across functional areas to meet the organization’s rapid growth objectives.
2. Work across multiple programs to ensure strong planning, budgeting, and implementation.
3. Provide timely, accurate and complete reports on operating results across various program areas.
4. Spearhead the development, communication and implementation of effective growth strategies across the organization.
5. Attract, recruit, and retain highly talented and professional new team members who strongly believe in and honor the mission of VHW.
6. Motivate and lead a high-performing management team.
7. Foster a success-oriented, accountable environment.
• Minimum 10 years of management and operations experience in complex and challenging settings, including in Africa
• Masters’ Degree in Business Administration or other relevant degree
• In-depth knowledge of key organizational functions, such as Human Resources, Finance and Programmes
• Hands on experience in strategic planning and programme development
• Experience with data analysis and the use of KPIs
• Familiarity with IT infrastructure
• Outstanding organizational and time management skills
• Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills
• Outstanding communication and presentation skills
• Problem-solving mindset
• Fluency in English is a requirement, French and/or Kirundi are a plus
Competitive salary, commensurate with experience.
How to apply:
Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit (in English) a CV and a thoughtful cover letter describing your experience and how it applies to this position.
Village Health Works is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Are you interested in becoming a Chief Operating Officer (COO) in Burundi? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.