Health expert (m/f/x)
Enabel is the Belgian Development Agency. It implements Belgian government cooperation. The Agency also implements actions for other national and international organisations. Together with its Belgian and international partners, Enabel provides solutions to address pressing global challenges – climate change, urbanization, human mobility, peace and security, social and economic inequalities – and to promote global citizenship. With 2,000 employees, Enabel manages some 170 projects in some twenty countries, in Belgium, Africa and the Middle East.
Enabel has been active in Benin for more than twenty years. The 2023-2028 cooperation program (€45M) aims to strengthen the resilience of vulnerable populations, especially youth and women, enabling sustainable human development in Benin. It integrates priority and cross-cutting themes (gender, innovation and D4D, decent work, climate and environment) and is structured around four priorities: sustainable agriculture and food systems, port development, health and police.
The specific objective of the health pillar of the bilateral programme for an amount of 12 million euros is: "The population of the targeted areas(women and young people in particular) enjoys their rights and good sexual and reproductive health in co-creation with the other actors of a more efficient and modernized health system, oriented towards the reduction of gender inequalities in health". The aim will be to consolidate the achievements of the previous programme (2019-2023) implemented in the partner health zones of the Atlantic (3ZS) and Couffo (2 ZS) departments and to extend the actions to the Parakou-N'dali SZ in the Borgou department.
In addition, Enabel has been entrusted by AFD with the formulation of the EQUITE2 project for an amount of €15 million. This intervention aims to provide the population of Benin, especially the most vulnerable, with quality health care services in a strengthened governance system by adopting a gender-transformative approach. The overall objective of the intervention entrusted by AFD is to contribute to the reduction of gender-based inequalities in health by taking better account of the specific needs of women and men in terms of sexual and reproductive health (SRH) (including gender-based violence - GBV) and non-communicable diseases (NCDs).
Description of the function
As an International Expert of the health pillar, under the responsibility of the Portfolio Manager, you are responsible for:
- Contribute to the strategic management of the objectives and results targeted for Enabel interventions in the field of Health in Benin;
- Actively contribute to the analysis of the health sector and ensure sectoral technical dialogue (in sectoral coordination bodies and thematic groups) with Intervention Managers, authorities and partners in the health sector ;
- Promote an integrated approach ensuring coherence and optimal articulation between the health pillar of the Enabel Benin programme and the various other actors and instruments of Belgian cooperation active in the same fields;
- Contribute to the synergy of interventions within the health pillar and with the other pillars of the Enabel portfolio in Benin, as well as other actors in the health sector;
- Support the formulation of health interventions in Benin;
- Facilitate the exchange of experiences with health interventions in other partner countries, particularly in the sub-region;
- Actively participate in professional networks at the level of Benin, the sub-region and the Belgian international cooperation ecosystem in health;
- Ensure the effective integration of the gender dimension in the implementation of activities in accordance with a DAC 2 project (gender transformative approach) as well as the integration of other cross-cutting and priority themes: decent work, environment and innovation.
Level of training required
- You are a doctor with a specialization in public health (minimum master's level).
- Relevant experience of at least 5 years in the field of health systems including policy dialogue and institutional support;
- Relevant professional experience in the theme of Sexual Rights and Reproductive Health;
- Solid experience in supporting change processes, action-research and capitalization of development results;
- Proven experience in drafting policies, strategies, scientific articles;
- Proven experience in presenting at international seminars and conferences;
- Solid experience in networking and lobbying in an international context;
- International experience (i.e. in the international development sector) is required.
Required skills and knowledge
- Strong interpersonal skills (facilitation, coaching, negotiation, communication, flexibility, empathetic attitude, networking);
- Knowledge of commonly used methods and instruments in content management, change and innovation management and monitoring
- Ability to implement a change process;
- Knowledge management and capitalization;
- Knowledge of statistics and computer systems;
- You are results-oriented;
- Ability to use new technologies in force in the field of expertise;
- You speak and write fluently in French or Dutch. Given Benin's working language and the international context in which you will be working, an excellent knowledge of French is therefore required. A good understanding of English (reading and speaking) is required.
You undertake to respect the vision, mission and values of Enabel (https://www.enabel.be/fr/content/vision-mission-valeurs-de-enabel).
We offer you
- A varied and rewarding function in an international environment. You are engaged within Enabel in the function of "Sectoral & thematic expert".
- A 54-month contract based in Cotonou, with multiple trips to the departments of Couffo, Atlantic, Hills and Borgou.
- A salary package including the gross monthly salary corresponding to our scales (class 6), as well as benefits related to your expatriate status within Enabel such as an allowance for remoteness, assignment, arduousness, coverage of housing costs (capped), a moving and installation allowance, the coverage of school fees for accompanying children (capped), An insurance package for the whole family including repatriation insurance, return plane tickets once a year for the whole family, etc.
- In case of expatriation without family members (dependents), up to 6 additional return air tickets per year to the country of origin or any other destination (capped according to Enabel regulations).
The different amounts vary according to the relevant experience recognized for the function and the family composition.
This publication may give rise to the constitution of a recruitment reserve for a period of 3 years for any similar function.
Our vacancies are open to anyone who meets the conditions described in the job offers. Enabel is committed to equal opportunities and diversity among its staff. We do not discriminate on the basis of gender, origin, age, religion, sexual orientation, disability or any factor other than competence.
Apply, no later than 18/09/2023, here and attach your updated CV and cover letter.
Only applications submitted via the link above will be considered.