Enabel is the Belgian development agency. It implements Belgium’s international development policy and primarily works for the Belgian State. The agency also implements actions for other national and international donors. With its partners in Belgium and abroad Enabel offers solutions addressing pressing global challenges: Climate Change, Urbanisation, Human Mobility, Peace and Security, Economic and Social Inequality, and Global Citizenship. With 1,800 staff, Enabel manages about 150 projects in twenty countries, in Belgium, Africa and the Middle East.
The Youth Economic Empowerment in Palestine project aims to address the lacking economic prospects for Palestinian youths, including vulnerable youth and young women, by empowering them to access decent employment opportunities.
The project is part of the “Palestinian Youth Empowerment Programme”, funded by the EU Neighbourhood Instrument and to be jointly implemented by UNFPA, Sharek Youth Forum in partnership with the Centre for Youth Economic Empowerment, and Enabel in Palestine. The Overall Objective of the Palestinian Youth Empowerment Programme is to improve Palestinian youth’s contribution to economic, social and public life.
The general objective of the project is to “enhance Palestinian young people's employability and economic empowerment.
The specific objective is that “young women and men are better equipped to access inclusive and decent employment opportunities.”
Contribution to the specific objective will be achieved through three results hereunder focusing on enhancing youth’s capacities to access wage and self-employment opportunities:
1. To develop and operate a First Employment Facility, a private sector-led work readiness programme allowing to enhance the employability of graduates of vocational and higher education entering the labour market;
2. To support continuous learning opportunities to enhance the employability of unemployed graduates of vocational training and higher education institutions, as well as youth workers. Short-term specialized TVET courses adapted to the needs of the labour market, will create new technical upskilling and vocational reskilling pathways, allowing youth graduates and workers to acquire specific, new or complementary technical competencies and/or transversal skills, and ultimately increase their career opportunities;
3. To enhance access to self-employment for the most vulnerable young women and men through business development support for sustainable micro- or small businesses that are viable to their local economies and generate sufficient income to meet livelihood needs and improve individual resilience.
Main duties of the Employment Promotion and Business Development Expert:
• You contribute to the expected results of the project by providing inputs for planning, execution, coordination, follow-up and monitoring, and evaluation of activities in order to ensure that the results of the programme (outputs – outcomes) are achieved within the set execution deadline;
• You ensure knowledge building and knowledge management of the project in order to create an inclusive, informed climate of trust within the project;
• You contribute to quality assurance by providing the necessary technical inputs in your area of expertise in order to achieve technical performance in accordance with national and international norms and standards;
• You contribute to change and strengthen the capacities of partners in order to contribute to the improvement of their organisation, processes and systems and of their staff’s competences;
• As a hierarchical supervisor and coach, you guide and mobilise staff members under your hierarchical supervision towards quality performance and to meet the project’s as well as development objectives.
You will be a member of the Enabel team working for the Palestinian “Youth Empowerment Programme" (YEP).
Note: international staff working for Enabel in Palestine must be of Belgian nationality in order to obtain a working permit as staff member of the Belgian Consulate-General.
Required qualifications and experience
• You hold a Master’s degree
• At least 5 years of relevant experience in the fields of employment promotion, skills development and/or entrepreneurship
• Experience with contract management (public procurement, grants...)
• Relevant professional experience outside your country of origin is an asset
• Experience in relevant projects is an asset.
Required skills and knowledge
• Good knowledge of aspects of international development (context, challenges, application, partners, functioning…)
• Able to implement services and strategies for social inclusion, and more specifically on inclusion of women in employment and business development opportunities
• In-depth knowledge of project management methodologies
• Monitoring and evaluation competences
• Good knowledge about developing and analysing theories of change
• Good knowledge about knowledge management and knowledge building
• Comfortable in working with the European Union institutions
• Comfortable with leading groups dynamics and inter-culturalism
• Excellent interpersonal and diplomatic skills
• Fully ICT literate (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
• You are fluent in spoken and written French and/or Dutch. Considering the working language of Palestine and the international environment in which you work, excellent knowledge of English is required. Notions of Arabic are an asset.
Applicants are also required to commit to the vision, mission and values of Enabel (https://www.enabel.be/content/enabel-vision-mission-values).
We offer you
• An exciting and engaging job in an international environment.
• A contract of 36 months. You are based in Ramallah. You occasionally travel within Palestine where Enabel implements projects.
• A salary package that comprises the monthly gross salary, in accordance with our salary scales (Class 6), and Enabel expat benefits such as a remoteness, assignment and hardship allowance, (capped) coverage of housing expenses, a moving compensation, an installation compensation, (capped) coverage of school expenses for children accompanying, an insurance package for the whole family, including repatriation insurance, and an annual round-trip flight ticket for each family member.
• In case of expatriation without the (dependent) members of the family, up to six additional round-trip flight tickets to the country of origin or another destination (capped in accordance with Enabel rules).
The amounts vary in function of relevant recognised experience for the function and family composition.
Following this procedure a recruitment reserve of successful applicants may be constituted which may be sourced in the next three years for similar job openings.
Every person who fulfils the conditions listed in our job advertisements may apply. Enabel is committed to equal opportunities and diversity in its workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of gender, origin, age, religion, sexual orientation, disability status or any other factor other than competence.
Are you interested in becoming an Employment Promotion and Business Development Expert Palestine? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.