Our goal is to become the most influential inclusive growth consultancy in the world.
We have established ourselves in our chosen markets and within the global community of international development actors and are now expanding into new markets with a business model based around partnership, co-ownership, and growth-sharing. If you an entrepreneurially minded development practitioner with a commitment to excellence, this is an opportunity for you.
We believe that international development should be a little more focused on growing the skills, agency and commercial value of the markets being supported, and a little less focused on doing so in donor markets. As a partner, you will be part of a high performing team, empowered and incentivised to grow value in yourself and your market.
You will be responsible for your own portfolio, delivering consultancy services for clients, building a suite of projects and initiatives, and collaborating with partners across the business to leverage our collective strength and experience. You will deepen your existing influential relationships with governments, donors, the private sector and civil society, spearheading the application of Expectation State’s model in your market, for your market.
We work hard to be much more than a consultancy company, advocating for changes in how governments, the private sector and donors operate, for the ultimate goal of more inclusive states, economies and communities; we want our collective opinions to shape how we deliver for our counterparts.
We’re a small, rapidly growing, ambitious company wanting to make an impact. If you think you’re a fit for that then we’d love to hear from you.
Leadership and Representation
• You will be the voice of Expectation State in your area of geographic or technical expertise. Represent our mission and deliver excellence. Play a role in steering Expectation State as a whole.
• Generate leads and opportunities, and secure projects and consultancy using networks and positioning, supported by colleagues across the business.
• Deliver billable consultancy days to clients, providing high quality technical services to grow more inclusive states, communities and economies.
• Direct and manage projects in your portfolio; technically and financially.
Recruit and manage project teams
• Bring the best available consultants into your pursuits and projects.
Manage profit centre finances
• Maintain an up-to-date understanding of your portfolio’s financial position and forecast.
Grow and maintain network
• Take meetings, have conversations and grow the Expectation State brand in your country or technical area.
You are an ambitious self-starter with proven track record of delivering with, through or alongside international donors. You have confidence in your ability to grow a portfolio of work delivering impact.
You should have a passion for and commitment to the development of your country or technical area, and an appreciation for the potential of inclusive economies and societies. You will need to be equally comfortable representing yourself and the company at senior levels (Ministerial and C-suite) and providing technical inputs as part of the design and delivery of our interventions. You need to be open to new and ambitious approaches and be rooted in your chosen ecosystem. You should be a well established consultant, with the ability to provide high quality inputs as well as manage and direct large projects. You will need to create strong and collaborative relationships with partners and other team members based in other countries.
Specifically, we are looking for:
• Prior experience in your geographic or technical area.
• Understanding of donors, the development sector and associated stakeholders in your chosen market;
• An ability to work with private and public partners, with proven track record of doing so;
• An established consultancy profile that places you at the top end of your market with clients;
• A background of working in politically complex environments;
• Written and spoken fluency in English and the native language of your home market (if different); and
• A hunger to move quickly, make an impact and enjoy yourself.
We are looking for two types of partners:
1. Geographic Partners: You possess an incredible understanding of and network in one of the following home markets:
- South Africa
2. Technical Partners: You’re at the top of your game, with multi-country experience and a focus on one of the following technical areas:
How to apply
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV and a covering email explaining why you are suited to the role. You will receive an automated response with more detail on the role and next steps.
Closing 17 April 2023 but applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Note: This is a job advertisement, applications will be forwarded to the employer for selection. JobnetAfrica believes all applicants should get feedback, good or bad, but are not further involved in the recruitment for this particular vacancy.