Reporting to: Group Sustainability Manager
Summary of therole
our client is investing in an ambitious, decade-long sustainability program covering human rights, carbon emissions, agroforestry and farmer support, with global workstreams planned in coffee producing countries all over the world. The sustainability strategy stands or falls on your ability to plan and coordinate the execution of multiple projects working across different time zones with global teams - the GSPM is the linchpin of the organization's sustainability program. Working with a number of workstream leads your task is to design an implementation roadmap for the global sustainability program and to create a global project management dashboard and a robust system of accountability and reporting.
You are expected to be a highly motivated and thoroughly experienced project management professional and team leader who works very well in a multicultural context. You are able to adopt flexible working hours and have experience in leading teams in a complex matrix organization. In your previous jobs you have managed global multi-million dollar rural development programs and/or worked as a professional project manager and team leader in projects within large organizations with global coverage.
Experience of coffee or similar agricultural value chains would be a strong advantage but as the chosen candidate you must first and foremost be an experienced project manager with a proven track record of delivering largescale global projects in emerging markets, on time and on budget.
You will have the opportunity to work in a dynamic growing global family business, being part of a transformation that will ultimately put sustainability at the center of their mission, improving engagement with all value chain partners.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
• Responsible for overall project management of the global sustainability program, managing multiple project streams, team leaders, progress reporting and data.
• Daily coordination with subject matter experts and the global execution teams to establish and monitor work plans and deliverables for each region
• Participation in development and refinement of the overall sustainability strategy as a key member of the sustainability leadership team
• Preparation of regular progress reports and participation in update meetings to senior internal and external stakeholders (you will be supported by a global M& E Manager and team)
• With support from a strategic communications manager, you will be responsible for implementing a 360 degree communications strategy on the activities of the sustainability department.
• Contribute directly to helping position the business as an industry leader in sustainability (vis a vis roasters, banks and farmers)
Education, Qualifications & Experience
• At least a bachelor’s degree
• Advanced training and certification in Project Management
• At least 5 years of experience in a senior management position, preferably related to project implementation, with a track record of leading teams
• Experience building and running large, complex projects - ideally multicountry, multi-stakeholder projects in agriculture and/or rural development.
• Lengthy experience of working in emerging markets
• You have gravitas, an obvious sense of experience, but remain approachable and comfortable as a mentor, team leader
• Ability to work across different cultures and nationalities (excellent EQ and CQ)
• Ability to work in partnership and across boundaries to achieve results.
• Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
• Confident and assertive with a self-motivated approach and flexible attitude.
• Comfortable working in a matrix reporting environment – you are focused on getting the job done and ensuring “no-one is left behind” when communicating objectives and expectations
Strong verbal and written English; fluency in other languages (Spanish, French) is an asset.
Are you interested in becoming a Group Sustainability Project Manager (GSPM) in Uganda? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.