Reporting to: Group Sustainability Project Manager
Our client is investing in an ambitious, decade-long, sustainability program, with activities in coffee producing countries all over the world. Their goal is to be the leading supplier of low-carbon, de-forestation-free coffee, ensuring that their clients are able to meet their pledges on carbon emissions and resource management.
Their supply chain strategy stands or falls on the implementation of a sustainable global farmer engagement program that measurably improves farmer prosperity through coffee growing, promotes resource efficiency, protects environmental capital, reduces carbon emissions and ensures the respect of responsible trading standards in everything they do.
As GCAM you will head the agronomy workstream to develop and drive a program of regenerative agricultural practices and farmer transformation, tailored to each country and farmer segment. You will build and lead local sustainability and agronomy teams to develop and implement tailored programs that drive farmer wealth-creation through sustainable coffee farming. You will play a key role in identifying talent and nurturing team members to run programs at field level, and you will develop training and communication materials to support the work of field teams.
You will have the opportunity to work in a dynamic growing global family business, being part of a transformation that will ultimately put sustainability at the center of our mission, improving engagement with all value chain partners.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
• Develop the organization's vision on global agronomy and farmer practices in line with the global sustainability strategy
• Work with each origin to customize farmer training programs that are transformative for farmers and supportive of the market trend towards low carbon emissions and regenerative agriculture.
• Raise farmers standards of living across the supply chain
• Achieve year on year reductions in carbon emissions from coffee farming
• Establish the company as a thought leader on regenerative agricultural practices and low carbon coffee farming.
• Build internal capacity on the ground to implement projects and trainings
• Ensure that all field activities are data driven and impact oriented, with a robust reporting mechanism
• Coach and mentor origin sustainability & agronomy managers on how to embed best practices within their field teams
• Ensure field teams are equipped with knowledge, best training practices and customer facing skills (customer = farmer)
• As a key member of the sustainability team, you will participate in strategy formulation and planning, working in tandem with senior management on client facing opportunities and project proposals for funding or partnership
• Presentations and workshops with stakeholders, representing the company in relevant forums
Education, Qualifications & Experience
• Advanced qualifications in tropical agriculture, preferably to PhD level
• Multi-year experience in managing global agricultural projects, preferably in a smallholder environment
• Expertise in agro-forestry systems for tree crops
• All-around business and agronomy skills
• Experience of living and working overseas in an advanced management position
• Ability to travel widely and work with local teams in E.Africa, LatAm, Asia.
• Gravitas, seniority, but approachable as a mentor and team leader
• Ability to work across different cultures and nationalities (good CQ and EQ)
• Willing to adopt flexible working hours in order to cover all geographies
• Ability to work in partnership and across boundaries to achieve results.
• Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
• Confident and assertive with a self-motivated approach and flexible attitude.
Strong verbal and written English; fluency in other languages (Spanish, French) is an asset.
Are you interested in becoming a Global Coffee Agronomy Manager (GCAM) in Uganda? Apply now at the top or bottom of our page.