A continent that spans the hemispheres, Africa has been home to some of the world’s oldest civilisations and today has some of the fastest growing nations in the world.
At JobnetAfrica we read a lot about Africa, but you always learn new and interesting facts about the continent.
Here are some surprising things that might be new to you:
1. Over 25% of the world’s languages are spoken only in Africa
There are thought to be around 2,000 languages in use on the continent. All are considered official languages of the African Union. Nigeria alone has over 500 living languages.
2. The African population is much younger than the rest of the world
Over 50% of Africans are under the age of 20, compared to a global median age of 30.
3. Africa’s population will more than double to 2.3 billion people by 2050
Nigeria's population alone is expected to rise from 174 million to 440 million people. 40% of the global population will be African by the year 2100, up from 9% back in 1950.
4. More than half of the world’s mobile money accounts are in Africa
12% of African adults have access to one, compared to just 2% worldwide. In Kenya the figure stands at 58%. Across the continent only a third of adults have access to a traditional bank account.
5. Ethiopia was the world’s fastest growing economy in 2015
The IMF says the country’s real GDP grew by 10.2%. But growth for the sub-Saharan region as a whole fell to 3.5%.
6. Africa has around 30% of the earth’s remaining mineral resources
This includes over 40% of gold reserves and 90% of platinum reserves. Nigeria is the world's fifth largest exporter of oil, ahead of Iraq and Kuwait, according to the CIA World Factbook.
You can read more of these facts on the World Economic Forum.
In the meantime follow JobnetAfrica via Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin. Make sure you will receive our Vacancy Newsletter by signing up on our website so you are updated on new job openings in Africa regularly.